Old 16-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Benign Vanilla

"George" wrote in message
news:aMQZd.137770$4q6.119700@attbi_s01...
Hi all. Well, I haven't been posting much for a while. It seems that

there are
a some squabbles going on in this newsgroup, which is most unfortunate. I

just
thought I'd throw my opinion, so I won't continue with that issue. That

said, I
was checking out my pond today, pulled the netting off, and ouch, the

dreaded
string algae has reared it's ugly head a little early (compared to last

year,
that is). I'm already working on that problem, and expect it to be

completely
gone by this time next month (I prefer the natural approach).

On another note, all of my fish have to date survived the winter. My

albino
channel cat is as big as ever (I'm estimating that he weighs at least 10

pounds,
and is at least 33 inches long), the goldfish and shubukans look really

good,
and my koi appear to have grown substantially over the winter months,

which I
find quite astounding. I guess they managed to find something to eat,

since I
have only fed the fish during rare times when the water temperature was

over 55
degrees (I know, this is likely why I now have the string algae,

especially
since the filter was off for a month during the deep cold this January and

is
likely not efficiently filtering the water as cold as the water is right

now).
Anyway, I thought I would post an update. I'd post a link to some

pictures of
the "hog", but unfortunately, my digital camera bit the dust some months

back.
Will try to post a link later if I manage to get some pictures.

Healthy ponds to you and yours.

George, welcome back from hibernation.

--
BV