Old 16-03-2005, 06:56 AM
George

Default Hi all. It's been a while

Hi all. Well, I haven't been posting much for a while. It seems that there are
a some squabbles going on in this newsgroup, which is most unfortunate. I just
thought I'd throw my opinion, so I won't continue with that issue. That said, I
was checking out my pond today, pulled the netting off, and ouch, the dreaded
string algae has reared it's ugly head a little early (compared to last year,
that is). I'm already working on that problem, and expect it to be completely
gone by this time next month (I prefer the natural approach).

On another note, all of my fish have to date survived the winter. My albino
channel cat is as big as ever (I'm estimating that he weighs at least 10 pounds,
and is at least 33 inches long), the goldfish and shubukans look really good,
and my koi appear to have grown substantially over the winter months, which I
find quite astounding. I guess they managed to find something to eat, since I
have only fed the fish during rare times when the water temperature was over 55
degrees (I know, this is likely why I now have the string algae, especially
since the filter was off for a month during the deep cold this January and is
likely not efficiently filtering the water as cold as the water is right now).
Anyway, I thought I would post an update. I'd post a link to some pictures of
the "hog", but unfortunately, my digital camera bit the dust some months back.
Will try to post a link later if I manage to get some pictures.

Healthy ponds to you and yours.

Old 16-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Benign Vanilla

"George" wrote in message
[...]

George, welcome back from hibernation.

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com

Old 16-03-2005, 03:56 PM
Hal

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 06:56:06 GMT, "George"
wrote:

and my koi appear to have grown substantially over the winter months, which I
find quite astounding. I guess they managed to find something to eat, since I
have only fed the fish during rare times when the water temperature was over 55
degrees (I know, this is likely why I now have the string algae, especially
since the filter was off for a month during the deep cold this January and is
likely not efficiently filtering the water as cold as the water is right now).

I'm glad your pond is in good shape and find it amazing that fish in
colder climates grow over winter too. Mine have grown a little, but
I've been feeding (small amount once a day) most of the winter, except
those few days the water temperature was below 40*F. I should have
lots of algae darkening my waters, but I guess the parrot feather and
a weekly (more or less) vacuuming of the bottom of the filter barrels
paid off.

I understand the bio-filter isn't much help in the winter, but I've
been tinkering with mine every year and my last change was to add
baffles in the first barrel to circle the water like a vortex with a
top exit, to cause settling of the heavier particles in the water.
It gets a lot of junk, but some sediment makes it into the next two
barrels as well. Every year of ponding seems different and without
controls to see what would happen otherwise, I can't really say this
works a lot better, but I like it.

Regards,

Hal
Old 17-03-2005, 06:33 AM
George

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

George, welcome back from hibernation.

Hi there. Still stretching my legs, and trying to cope with all this cold
weather and no sun. I'm getting very anxious to start working on the yard and
the pond in earnest. I've become a fishaholic, and am in serious withdrawal.
The aquarium just doesn't do it for me anymore. Get get my feed wet and play
with the porkers.

Old 17-03-2005, 06:50 AM
George

wrote:

[...]

My filter is completely different. I have a prefilter to handle the grunge, and
I clean it about every two weeks (at least during the growing season). During
the winter, I hardly touch it (it would be a pain to do so anyway since I have
the pond netted in the winter). The pre-filter sits on the bottom of the pond.
My main filter is a suction-type filter. It sits on a ledge inside the pond
that I created especially for the filter when I dug the pond. The main filter
is submerged. My waterfall is constructed overtop of it in such a way that I
only have to move a few rocks and then unbolt the top to get to the inside of
it. It is a former jacuzzi pool filter that I adapted specifically for this
pond. A polypropylene hose attached to the pre-filter connects to a basket
strainer in the bottom of the main filter. I have about 75 pounds of coarse
porous gravel surrounding the basket strainer. The water flows through the
pre-filter, which removes the larger particles, then flows into the main filter,
through the basket strainer and the gravel. The pump is located about 8 inches
above the gravel (12" below the water surface). The pump is suspended from the
bolted cover of the filter by the piping. The cover makes the filter airtight
to prevent cavitation. I know it is time to clean the pre-filter when the water
pressure drops slightly. This happens about once every two weeks to once a
month during the summer. In the winter I rarely have a problem with water
pressure. I never have to clean the filter. It has worked great for me.

Biofilters aren't much help during winter. That is true. But what is important
in my opinion is to keep the filter bed oxygenated so it doesn't go septic. And
it helps to keep the water clear and oxygenated. I only use the aerator when it
gets too cold to run the pump. I have a de-icer for the pond, and it has worked
well this winter, so I only worry about ice buildup around the pump outlet and
around the waterfall, which is the only reason I turn it off at all.

Old 17-03-2005, 03:08 PM
Hal

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 06:50:06 GMT, "George"
wrote:

I know it is time to clean the pre-filter when the water
pressure drops slightly. This happens about once every two weeks to once a
month during the summer. In the winter I rarely have a problem with water
pressure. I never have to clean the filter. It has worked great for me.

You have a better filter than I do and I'm glad it works so well for
you.

Regards,

Hal
Old 17-03-2005, 08:34 PM
George

wrote:

I know it is time to clean the pre-filter when the water
pressure drops slightly. This happens about once every two weeks to once a
month during the summer. In the winter I rarely have a problem with water
pressure. I never have to clean the filter. It has worked great for me.

You have a better filter than I do and I'm glad it works so well for
you.

Regards,

Hal

I cleaned the pre-filter this afternoon, and boy was I right. It was the
dirtiest I've ever seen it (but then, I haven't cleaned it all winter). Now
that I've done so, the filter should start to kick in soon, since it is finally
starting to warm up a little. The water was 50 degrees this afternoon. If it
stays warm (50s), the water chould get warm enough for the bacteria to start
kicking in. By the way, the only costs for that filter was the pre-filter, the
pump, about 6 feet of hose, and the gravel. The filter housing itself was a
freebee.

Old 18-03-2005, 09:26 PM
George

"Hal" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 20:34:29 GMT, "George"
wrote:

The filter housing itself was a
freebee.

My favorite kind.

Regards,

Hal

My brother has a large partially in-ground swimming pool. He forgot to drain
the filter one winter, and the water froze and broke the backflush valve.
Because of its age, he decided to buy a new one instead repairing this one, so
he gave it to me. I just needed the tank itself, so I stripped out the guts and
converted it into a biofilter.

Old 19-03-2005, 02:13 PM
Hal

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 21:26:23 GMT, "George"
wrote:

My brother has a large partially in-ground swimming pool. He forgot to drain
the filter one winter, and the water froze and broke the backflush valve.
Because of its age, he decided to buy a new one instead repairing this one, so
he gave it to me. I just needed the tank itself, so I stripped out the guts and
converted it into a biofilter.

So what you have is a pool filter with a more coarse medium than
sand?? I often wondered how that would work.

Regards

Hal

Old 20-03-2005, 01:46 AM
George

wrote:

My brother has a large partially in-ground swimming pool. He forgot to drain
the filter one winter, and the water froze and broke the backflush valve.
Because of its age, he decided to buy a new one instead repairing this one, so
he gave it to me. I just needed the tank itself, so I stripped out the guts
and
converted it into a biofilter.

So what you have is a pool filter with a more coarse medium than
sand?? I often wondered how that would work.

Regards

Hal

No, I have a former pool filter that has been gutted of all its parts,
retrofitted with a basket strainer in the bottom, filled half-full with
medium-coarse gravel, and a pump mounted in the void above the gravel and
connected to a kevlar plate which is bolted to the top of the filter housing and
the top opening. The pump outlet and electricaly is fitted through this plate.
The entire unit is submerged into the pond, beneath the waterfall at one end.
When the pump is on, it draws water into the filter from the bottom of the
filter, which travels through the basket strainer and the gravel, then is pumped
back out over the waterfall and into the pond. The intake of the filter is
connected to a 6 feet long hose which is connected to a pre-filter which is
situated right in the middle of the bottom of the pond.

Old 20-03-2005, 04:50 PM
Hal

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 01:46:01 GMT, "George"
wrote:

No, I have a former pool filter that has been gutted of all its parts,
retrofitted with a basket strainer in the bottom, filled half-full with
medium-coarse gravel, and a pump mounted in the void above the gravel and
connected to a kevlar plate which is bolted to the top of the filter housing and
the top opening. The pump outlet and electricaly is fitted through this plate.
The entire unit is submerged into the pond, beneath the waterfall at one end.
When the pump is on, it draws water into the filter from the bottom of the
filter, which travels through the basket strainer and the gravel, then is pumped
back out over the waterfall and into the pond. The intake of the filter is
connected to a 6 feet long hose which is connected to a pre-filter which is
situated right in the middle of the bottom of the pond.

Glad it works so well for you.

Regards,

Hal
Old 21-03-2005, 01:03 AM
~Roy~

Normsally sand is not so good of an idea, from what i read and hear
anyway as its prone to packing in some areas and containing debri
which leads to aernomas(sp?) building up. Eventually it will clog in
some areas and channels will start to form, which is the only area
doing any kind of filtering.......which leads to dead spots
internally. When sand and even coarser gravel is used, normally a high
head pressure pump is used so it can make the sand suspended somewhat
and even then it will clog and pack.Water is normally forced thorough
them instead of pulled through. Thats why they use beads in these type
of filters when used in ponds with low head pressure pumps, so they
are somewhat bouyant, and not prone to channeling. Its still common
to have a means to backflush the entire item to get rid of any buildup
detris which reduces any chance on having a aeronomas getting
established. I have three of the large swimming pool tanks / filters
and had intended to do basically what you have done, but too many
folks in other forums voiced opinions in regards to potentials for
problems if no backflush is available or from channeling setting up,
so they set here unused.........Thats one reason a swimming pool has
such high flow and pressures as compared to pond setups, as it needs
to be able to break up and flush the sand so they do not channel etc.
Usually aeronomas are not a problem in a swimming pool as they use a
chlorine to control problems.........But hey if it works for you
great.....just keep an eye on it.

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 01:46:01 GMT, "George"
wrote:

===
==="Hal" wrote in message
===news:5qbo31dnm72g56a5madl7ur2r6vu3f7fot@4ax. com...
=== On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 21:26:23 GMT, "George"
===