Old 16-03-2005, 04:36 PM
Tony

Without reading every post. Hot peppers are not adapted to our environment
and need heat to speed germination. Some peppers i plant may take up to a
month.
"Sterling" wrote in message

Play4abuck wrote:
Are your heat mats all working? What is the dirt temp? (I've read it
should
be 70-80 F.) Could the water have been contaminated from a laundry
product?
Spot spray? Are you running all this on a timer? Could someone being
shutting off a wall switch that's cutting the power to the mats and
lights?

I know.....some silly questions.....I'm just fishin.

Cheers,
Jim

Well, these are the kind of heat mats that go under the flats and are
supposed to raise the temp by "10 to 20 degrees" over ambient. All my
thermometers (at least the kind I can stick in the dirt) start much higher
than 70-80 degrees so I have brought one in from outdoors and now have it
standing with it's base on the bottom of the inside of the flat and I'll
see what it settles at. I'll also try it on top of some jiffy pots and
see.

No timer - but the heat mats stay on 24/7 and I turn on the lights when I
get my coffee in the morning, and turn them off before I go to bed. I am
sure they are not getting turned off by anyone else.

I did place some phone books under the heat mats as it seemed that (with
the wire shelves) they were not staying warm enough. That helped. The mats
are warm and working. But it may be that the house has just not been as
warm. Lot of people don't realize how cold Atlanta really gets but we've
had temps below 20 this year plus an ice storm. Maybe the house just has
not been as warm.

I don't use laundry sprays very much but I'll chew on the idea that maybe
something chemical got in there.

Thanks for "fishin" as that is what I am doing.