Old 16-03-2005, 09:02 PM
effi

supposedly the new treated lumber is safe for indoors construction but not
safe in making cutting boards with,
so if it shouldn't be in your food,
it probably shouldn't be in plants' food

the new treated lumber that is supposedly safe has some kind of copper
chemical in it = is copper bad? you decide (the people who sell it will say
it is safe, but it may not be, puffery is allowed in sales)

the cedar and redwood you mention might be okay for grow boxes

"Russell D." wrote in message
I just got off the phone with a very helpful young man at my local Home
Depot. I was gathering info from him on the prices of redwood, cedar and
composite planking that I want to make grow boxes from. When I mentioned to
him that I was going to make grow boxes he suggested that I use treated
lumber, quickly adding, as if he anticipated my protest, there is no longer
any arsenic used in the treating process and nothing is used that would be
harmful.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. I'm still a bit hesitant about
using treated lumber for grow boxes for vegetables but it would sure save
a lot of money if I could.

What do you think?

Russell