Old 16-03-2005, 05:27 PM
Russell D.

Default Wood for grow boxes

I just got off the phone with a very helpful young man at my local Home
Depot. I was gathering info from him on the prices of redwood, cedar and
composite planking that I want to make grow boxes from. When I mentioned
to him that I was going to make grow boxes he suggested that I use
treated lumber, quickly adding, as if he anticipated my protest, there
is no longer any arsenic used in the treating process and nothing is
used that would be harmful.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. I'm still a bit hesitant about
using treated lumber for grow boxes for vegetables but it would sure
save a lot of money if I could.

What do you think?

Russell
Old 16-03-2005, 05:49 PM
Steveo

"Russell D." wrote:
I just got off the phone with a very helpful young man at my local Home
Depot. I was gathering info from him on the prices of redwood, cedar and
composite planking that I want to make grow boxes from. When I mentioned
to him that I was going to make grow boxes he suggested that I use
treated lumber, quickly adding, as if he anticipated my protest, there
is no longer any arsenic used in the treating process and nothing is
used that would be harmful.

Begs the question 'what do they use' to preserve the wood? Nothing is
used that would be harmful to vegetable plants? Dunno 'bout that one..
Old 16-03-2005, 09:02 PM
effi

supposedly the new treated lumber is safe for indoors construction but not
safe in making cutting boards with,
so if it shouldn't be in your food,
it probably shouldn't be in plants' food

the new treated lumber that is supposedly safe has some kind of copper
chemical in it = is copper bad? you decide (the people who sell it will say
it is safe, but it may not be, puffery is allowed in sales)

the cedar and redwood you mention might be okay for grow boxes

Old 16-03-2005, 09:35 PM
MikeR

"Russell D." wrote in message
I just got off the phone with a very helpful young man at my local Home
Depot. I was gathering info from him on the prices of redwood, cedar and
composite planking that I want to make grow boxes from. When I mentioned
to him that I was going to make grow boxes he suggested that I use
treated lumber, quickly adding, as if he anticipated my protest, there
is no longer any arsenic used in the treating process and nothing is
used that would be harmful.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. I'm still a bit hesitant about
using treated lumber for grow boxes for vegetables but it would sure
save a lot of money if I could.

What do you think?

Russell

I'd use the "Plastic decking" that's made of recycled milk jugs as it will
outlast all of us combined and contains no preservatives.
Info: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ng&btnG=Search

Old 16-03-2005, 10:08 PM
Srgnt Billko

"Russell D." wrote in message
I just got off the phone with a very helpful young man at my local Home
Depot. I was gathering info from him on the prices of redwood, cedar and
composite planking that I want to make grow boxes from. When I mentioned
to him that I was going to make grow boxes he suggested that I use
treated lumber, quickly adding, as if he anticipated my protest, there
is no longer any arsenic used in the treating process and nothing is
used that would be harmful.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. I'm still a bit hesitant about
using treated lumber for grow boxes for vegetables but it would sure
save a lot of money if I could.

What do you think?

Russell

I'm using plain pine logs from thinning my woods. If I have to replace them
every 5 years, so what. Let em rot - I gotta get rid of the somehow.

Old 17-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Timothy

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:27:42 -0700, Russell D. wrote:

I just got off the phone with a very helpful young man at my local Home
Depot. I was gathering info from him on the prices of redwood, cedar and
composite planking that I want to make grow boxes from. When I mentioned
to him that I was going to make grow boxes he suggested that I use treated
lumber, quickly adding, as if he anticipated my protest, there is no
longer any arsenic used in the treating process and nothing is used that
would be harmful.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. I'm still a bit hesitant about
using treated lumber for grow boxes for vegetables but it would sure save
a lot of money if I could.

What do you think?

Russell

Good day Russell, unsure what type of 'grow boxes' you wish to have or
their size. If these boxes will be more like raised beds, then I would
suggest that you look at stone. The allen block, diamond block type. These
will cost a bit more in the begining, but they will pay for themselves in
the long run for sure.

If your thinking smaller, then I would recommend trex composite. Trex will
again cost a bit more, but will last 15+ years in the ground with no
problems. It's paintable and screw'able.

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com

Grow Boxes coykiesaol Bonsai 0 09-05-2011 08:28 AM
Wood for grow boxes Russell D. Gardening 11 17-03-2005 11:01 PM
Wood for grow boxes Russell D. Edible Gardening 6 17-03-2005 07:42 AM
old dead wood from a tree stronger than any other wood from that tree? Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 10 09-01-2005 08:14 AM
pressure treated wood for training boxes? John Bonsai 0 23-01-2003 04:07 PM