Old 17-03-2005, 01:38 AM
Warwick

In article , says...
AND THIS NEWSGROUP IS NOT NET NANNIED????????????

I have just seen a pig fly over my house

Mike,

I'm happy in my gardening, even a seedling is a joy. My work is in IT
and I deal with it all day. As part of my job, I run mail servers and
news servers. I do voluntary work with our local constabulary to help
with IT crime and spam. I'm active where possible in the anti-spam
community.

I'm not really interested in reading about a conflict in beliefs about
how the internet should work in this group since there are more
appropriate groups for those discussions.

You have a huge amount of experience and a lot of relevant input to the
group that makes for interesting reading.

From my point of reading, you have a horrible tendency to attack
anything posted by a couple of posters even to the point of taunting and
demanding they respond.

It seems that there is a rather tired and one sided bating in place that
could disappear if you killfiled the posters you dislike. Those posters
don't 'police' the group, but they express their opinions on the more
off-topic posts as well as providing valuable insight and knowledge
within threads that are relevant to gardening.

I don't wish to add either set of people to my own killfile due to their
value, but one set ignoring and not responding to the other set would
make the entire group a much more relaxed environment.

As Spring approaches, we'll be seeing more activity and more new
posters. We really don't want to drive them off by turning their every
thread into a slanging match between two factions fighting about the way
the group is run do we?

May I suggest that an advertiser, unaware of how usenet works, and
unaware of charters, not having read the TOS (should it apply for
relevant ISP) is allowed to be told of the existance and pointed to
where to read it by a couple of posters (I'll not limit it to one since
it can take several hours for a post to get from one poster to the
next). And then give the original poster some time to digest and post an
'Ah Yes' before starting in on accusations and recriminations.

This thread started with a request for comments on advertising. The
poster was provided with the information they wanted and will
(presumably) be sending us a 3 monthly advert to get some business.

For you to follow up with the message you did seems to be trying to get
your 'net nannies' to bite and get into an argument. I've seen too many
threads degenerate that way recently and probably missed out on
horticultural tips further on down the thread.

If things don't improve I'm going to *have* to do somthing at the server
level to make my own reading easier.

It may be that for this group I start dropping all posts that contain
variants on the phrase "net nanny" and some other key phrases. I tend to
replicate these kinds of changes from work and to other servers I tend.

Warwick