Old 17-03-2005, 12:40 PM
Frogleg

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:53:48 -0500, SKYlark
wrote:

er....whyfor you had it planted in pots???

i live in usda zone 4a and the Galium does beautifully at the bottom of my
steps facing south. i've given it no special fertz or growing mixtures and
it's doing great.

Zone 4a?!! My poor, struggling plant (in a pot, outside) nearly
succumbed to 1st frost in zone 7b. I brought it inside and while a lot
of it died. Some new leaves emerged and it's overwintering in my
kitchen. I'm most familiar with it growing rampant in shady locations
in the SF Bay area, and assumed it wasn't at all frost-tolerant. I see
now I was wrong. Wonder why *my* plant is so sensitive?

Sidebar: I noticed a faint vanilla-like scent near the plant (before I
got this dratted cold) and was interested to find that it contains
coumarin, which is used to make 'fake' vanilla. My nose knows!