Old 14-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Phisherman

Default Sweet Woodruff

I bought a small sweet woodruff plant and divided it into three pots.
One grew so well in a east window then I planted it outdoors in
partial shade (2-3 hours of dappled sun) where it slowly died off. I
put a nylon sunscreen over it during the intense summer sun for added
protection. The other two are struggling along now, the top part is
dead, but small plants are starting to grow. I put a plastic tent of
the plant to increase humidity. Anyone have any luck with this
plant? It seems to be very temperamental and seems to grow better
indoors than outdoors. I have not fertilized it and they were potted
using MiracleGrow potting mix. Outdoors, I mixed in compost. I
bought it for the intention of a semi-shady area groundcover. In zone
7, e.TN. TIA
Old 14-03-2005, 04:45 PM
paghat

In article , Phisherman
wrote:

I bought a small sweet woodruff plant and divided it into three pots.
One grew so well in a east window then I planted it outdoors in
partial shade (2-3 hours of dappled sun) where it slowly died off. I
put a nylon sunscreen over it during the intense summer sun for added
protection. The other two are struggling along now, the top part is
dead, but small plants are starting to grow. I put a plastic tent of
the plant to increase humidity. Anyone have any luck with this
plant? It seems to be very temperamental and seems to grow better
indoors than outdoors. I have not fertilized it and they were potted
using MiracleGrow potting mix. Outdoors, I mixed in compost. I
bought it for the intention of a semi-shady area groundcover. In zone
7, e.TN. TIA

I've never heard of it being a hard one so long as it doesn't get too much
sun. Mine grows in dry shade under the eaves between two enormous shrubs,
&amp it carries on "good enough" in a location so uninhabitable even weeds
don't grow there (but white English bluebells do). It would rather have
moister shade & if I wanted it to be more than "good enough" I'd have to
get water to it, but I can't see much into that area anyhow so I let the
sweet woodruff struggle on without my assistance.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 14-03-2005, 04:53 PM
SKYlark

er....whyfor you had it planted in pots???

i live in usda zone 4a and the Galium does beautifully at the bottom of my
steps facing south. i've given it no special fertz or growing mixtures and
it's doing great.
granted i do not have "intense heat" except for perhaps 30 days of it in
august and, granted, too the little white flowers don't come out before may
1st, but they do come out and i do make may wine and terrific relaxing tea.

Old 14-03-2005, 08:19 PM
Phisherman

I had it pots to propagate it. After it became established I moved
one to the outdoors where it slowly died back to almost nothing. I'm
waiting to see what happens. The other two are on my window sill,
barely surviving for the past two years. At one time they seemed to
like the early morning sun. Perhaps the environment is not right for
them. They are next to a very healthy & blooming African violet.

Old 14-03-2005, 11:43 PM
alice

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I bought a small sweet woodruff plant and divided it into three pots.
One grew so well in a east window then I planted it outdoors in
partial shade (2-3 hours of dappled sun) where it slowly died off. I
put a nylon sunscreen over it during the intense summer sun for added
protection. The other two are struggling along now, the top part is
dead, but small plants are starting to grow. I put a plastic tent of
the plant to increase humidity. Anyone have any luck with this
plant? It seems to be very temperamental and seems to grow better
indoors than outdoors. I have not fertilized it and they were potted
using MiracleGrow potting mix. Outdoors, I mixed in compost. I
bought it for the intention of a semi-shady area groundcover. In zone
7, e.TN. TIA

I have it growing in a rock garden area in full shade..it is a super
groundcover.
It takes off and over but easy go contain. I is a neat plant with little
white flowers
in early spring

alice zone 6 WNC

Old 15-03-2005, 01:37 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Phisherman writes:
| I bought a small sweet woodruff plant and divided it into three pots.
| One grew so well in a east window then I planted it outdoors in
| partial shade (2-3 hours of dappled sun) where it slowly died off.

I doubt that it is the sun that worries it, but the drought.
It is a northern European woodland plant, and is adapted to
relatively cool, damp summers - not necessarily ones as damp
and cool as in the UK, but more so than over much of the USA.

It does fine with me in the open, where it gets no more than
4 hours of sun in summer. But that is UK sun - which is
usually pretty feeble.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-03-2005, 02:29 PM

mine grows rampant underneath the rhodies, dogwood, in shade, east facing zone 5
wisconsin. try tucking it under some shade make sure it is watered until
established. I dont think it has very deep roots. Ingrid

Phisherman wrote:

I bought a small sweet woodruff plant and divided it into three pots.
One grew so well in a east window then I planted it outdoors in
partial shade (2-3 hours of dappled sun) where it slowly died off. I
put a nylon sunscreen over it during the intense summer sun for added
protection. The other two are struggling along now, the top part is
dead, but small plants are starting to grow. I put a plastic tent of
the plant to increase humidity. Anyone have any luck with this
plant? It seems to be very temperamental and seems to grow better
indoors than outdoors. I have not fertilized it and they were potted
using MiracleGrow potting mix. Outdoors, I mixed in compost. I
bought it for the intention of a semi-shady area groundcover. In zone
7, e.TN. TIA

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/puregold/
WEBSITE AT: http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/home.html
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE
Old 17-03-2005, 03:19 AM
S Orth

Dappled sun is good, but is it the hot, afternoon sun? Heat is not good.
Also, in my experience with this plant (Zone 5, however), I've found that it
seems to take awhile to be come established and resents transplanting.

Hope this helps a bit
Suzy in Wisconsin

Old 17-03-2005, 03:42 AM
Phisherman

I checked the woodruff outside yesterday. There are 4-5 very small
plantlets. I still have the sunshade mounted 2" above the soil to
protect it. It does get hot here, sometimes upper 90's with high
humidity in July/August, but at that time the overhead trees do help
cooling. It does not get late afternoon sun as it is growing a steep
slope. There's some pachysandra growing nearby, although it is
growing very slowly for the past 7 years.

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:19:16 -0600, "S Orth" wrote:

Dappled sun is good, but is it the hot, afternoon sun? Heat is not good.
Also, in my experience with this plant (Zone 5, however), I've found that it
seems to take awhile to be come established and resents transplanting.

Hope this helps a bit
Suzy in Wisconsin

.. .

Old 17-03-2005, 12:40 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

er....whyfor you had it planted in pots???

i live in usda zone 4a and the Galium does beautifully at the bottom of my
steps facing south. i've given it no special fertz or growing mixtures and
it's doing great.

Zone 4a?!! My poor, struggling plant (in a pot, outside) nearly
succumbed to 1st frost in zone 7b. I brought it inside and while a lot
of it died. Some new leaves emerged and it's overwintering in my
kitchen. I'm most familiar with it growing rampant in shady locations
in the SF Bay area, and assumed it wasn't at all frost-tolerant. I see
now I was wrong. Wonder why *my* plant is so sensitive?

Sidebar: I noticed a faint vanilla-like scent near the plant (before I
got this dratted cold) and was interested to find that it contains
coumarin, which is used to make 'fake' vanilla. My nose knows!

Old 19-03-2005, 02:48 AM
fran

Well, I can tell you it doesn't like full sun and hot summers. Mine
croaked in one summer on the deck.
Old 19-03-2005, 09:52 AM
William Wagner

I2 inch pot of Sweet Woodruff turned into 180*40 foot patch in 30
years. This in moderate shade. It likes to have the winter cover of
oak leaves removed early. I am thinking about the raking as I type
this. Don't forget using the flowers in may wine.

Best

Bill

--
Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade
"oeuf tot pique " Lover
Old 20-03-2005, 12:15 AM
Lady Blacksword

Completely OT- I love the physics quote in your tag.
Murri

"William Wagner" wrote in message

I2 inch pot of Sweet Woodruff turned into 180*40 foot patch in 30
years. This in moderate shade. It likes to have the winter cover of
oak leaves removed early. I am thinking about the raking as I type
this. Don't forget using the flowers in may wine.

Best

Bill

--
Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade
"oeuf tot pique " Lover
"Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but
that's not why we do it." -- Richard P. Feynman (Nobel Prize, Physics)

[IMG] code is On

Sweet Woodruff Indigo United Kingdom 7 22-07-2013 05:06 PM
sweet woodruff Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 22 22-07-2011 06:21 PM
PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Sweet Woodruff Jack Schmidling[_1_] Gardening 3 09-06-2007 09:04 PM
Preen and Mazus or Sweet Woodruff Meg Gardening 0 27-03-2004 04:12 AM
Sweet Woodruff Smeckler United Kingdom 29 29-05-2003 02:20 PM