Old 17-03-2005, 01:40 PM
shazzbat

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message
Just tried to cut my lawn and my petrol rotary mower keep cutting out

with
loud bands and some even had flames banging out of the exhaust ?

any ideas ?

Should have had it serviced over winter?

Sounds like an ignition problem, possibly timing.

You may find that there is a queue at the moment in the lawnmower repair
shop.

This is why you get cheap deals over winter, and the price goes up in
spring.

There is no real logical reason why a lawnmower which worked O.K. in the
autumn doesn't work in spring.

Yes there is. or rather there are several. Stale fuel does not help, also
piston rings get gummed up and do not seal properly until they have been
through a few heat cycles. also cylinder bores get rusty.

Ignition timing is a possibility as an advance retard mechanism may be
seized up. also a burnt out valve, assuming the engine is four-stroke.

Steve