Old 17-03-2005, 09:50 PM
Doug Kanter

"Sue" wrote in message
In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

"Sue" wrote in message
In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

How high is your fence?

6 feet on most of it. 4.5 feet for the rest.

Deer drink beer and laugh at 4.5 foot fences. :-) I know it seems
unlikely,
but around here, the deer are also doing some pretty unlikely stuff.

I think it would be as likely to be unicorns as deer. You'll have to
trust me on this one . The "yard" is 30' x 15', and I probably
misled you to call my area suburban. Urban is more like it. The 'hood
was built in the '50's.

So its hard to imaging that a deer could silently leap the fence 15 feet
from the window, and nibble just the roses, without making any noise,
trampling anything else, without eating anything else, and without
leaving hoofprints. the bite marks last year on the eggplants were
little critter sized.

Whatever it is, here's a tip from a friend of mine who had something eating
pretty much everything. Go get some Irish Spring bar soap and some knee-high
stockings. Grate the soap with a cheese grater, using the large holes like
you'd use for soft cheese like mozzarella. Put the shredded soap in the
knee-highs and hang around the garden. Some animals hate the smell.

Your only other option, besides improving your fencing, is to stay up all
night with a BB gun.