Old 17-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Sue

Default What is eating my roses?

I have some type of critter problem. I live in Southern California,in a
suburban area about 6 miles from the coast, near but not on a canyon,
and I have a fenced yard. Last summer something was gnawing my peppers
and eggplants-never saw what it was, and the amount of damage was no
big deal.

But now (I'm assuming its the same critter) this thing is decimating my
roses. It clips off the new growth, right where it is budding. It always
happens at night and whatever it is is very quiet. I've never heard
anything.

Last night I put plastic grocery bags over the smaller roses, which
discouraged our noctural diner and came out to a completely denuded Don
Juan. (Since it is more mature,+ too large to easily cover I thought it
was safe-WRONG).

no way is it bugs, it looks like someone went throught with pruners. It
is also not a deer, I think we'd notice one in our tiny yard, there is a
fence, and this is way too a suburban and area for that. So what could
it be? rat? possum? racoon? skunk? bunny? I've never seen any of these
guys around here, although I'm sure they are abundant (except possibly
the rats). I'm thinking possum.

Any suggestions for dealing with it short of borrowing a terrier?
Poisons are out, I don't like the idea and besides the neighbourhood is
full of cats, (who are clearly falling down on the job). some nice
organic deterrent?
Old 17-03-2005, 04:40 PM
Doug Kanter

"Sue" wrote in message
[...]

How high is your fence?

Old 17-03-2005, 05:09 PM
Sue

In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

How high is your fence?

6 feet on most of it. 4.5 feet for the rest.
Old 17-03-2005, 05:19 PM
Doug Kanter

"Sue" wrote in message
In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

How high is your fence?

6 feet on most of it. 4.5 feet for the rest.

Deer drink beer and laugh at 4.5 foot fences. :-) I know it seems unlikely,
but around here, the deer are also doing some pretty unlikely stuff.

Old 17-03-2005, 05:26 PM
Sue

In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

"Sue" wrote in message
In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

How high is your fence?

6 feet on most of it. 4.5 feet for the rest.

Deer drink beer and laugh at 4.5 foot fences. :-) I know it seems unlikely,
but around here, the deer are also doing some pretty unlikely stuff.

I think it would be as likely to be unicorns as deer. You'll have to
trust me on this one . The "yard" is 30' x 15', and I probably
misled you to call my area suburban. Urban is more like it. The 'hood
was built in the '50's.

So its hard to imaging that a deer could silently leap the fence 15 feet
from the window, and nibble just the roses, without making any noise,
trampling anything else, without eating anything else, and without
leaving hoofprints. the bite marks last year on the eggplants were
little critter sized.

Old 17-03-2005, 09:50 PM
Doug Kanter

"Sue" wrote in message
In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

"Sue" wrote in message
In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

How high is your fence?

6 feet on most of it. 4.5 feet for the rest.

Deer drink beer and laugh at 4.5 foot fences. :-) I know it seems
unlikely,
but around here, the deer are also doing some pretty unlikely stuff.

I think it would be as likely to be unicorns as deer. You'll have to
trust me on this one . The "yard" is 30' x 15', and I probably
misled you to call my area suburban. Urban is more like it. The 'hood
was built in the '50's.

So its hard to imaging that a deer could silently leap the fence 15 feet
from the window, and nibble just the roses, without making any noise,
trampling anything else, without eating anything else, and without
leaving hoofprints. the bite marks last year on the eggplants were
little critter sized.

Whatever it is, here's a tip from a friend of mine who had something eating
pretty much everything. Go get some Irish Spring bar soap and some knee-high
stockings. Grate the soap with a cheese grater, using the large holes like
you'd use for soft cheese like mozzarella. Put the shredded soap in the
knee-highs and hang around the garden. Some animals hate the smell.

Your only other option, besides improving your fencing, is to stay up all
night with a BB gun.

Old 19-03-2005, 07:52 PM
Lady Blacksword

IMHO, it sounds like rabbits.
Try growing marigolds, the rabbits where my parents live in Kansas City hate
the taste/smell of them and leave Dad's roses alone when he grows marigolds
around them.
Murri

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
news

"Sue" wrote in message
In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

Old 20-03-2005, 06:02 PM
Sue

In article 1111261963.d4b07124fe7b201b81bb862bd4ad2649@teran ews,
"Lady Blacksword" wrote:

IMHO, it sounds like rabbits.
Try growing marigolds, the rabbits where my parents live in Kansas City hate
the taste/smell of them and leave Dad's roses alone when he grows marigolds
around them.
Murri

Thanks Murri and Doug.
I seem to be winning the war of the roses. I still don't know who the
culprit is. However, since there are alluring plants right next to the
house that never seem to be touched, I figured that the rose eater
might be shy. So I rigged up some flood lights on the rose bed 3 nights
ago. Voila. no nibbling since. I think I'll add some marigolds too.
Old 20-03-2005, 07:47 PM
Doug Kanter

Hey....if it's rabbits, the garden goddesses are offering a bonus. Borrow a
Havahart trap, and when it works, break out the garlic, olive oil & lemon.
Rabbit is yummy!

"Lady Blacksword" wrote in message
news:1111261963.d4b07124fe7b201b81bb862bd4ad2649@t eranews...
IMHO, it sounds like rabbits.
Try growing marigolds, the rabbits where my parents live in Kansas City
hate the taste/smell of them and leave Dad's roses alone when he grows
marigolds around them.
Murri

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
news