Old 18-03-2005, 05:51 AM
Newt Newt is offline
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ima Googler
Hi everybody!

I'm new to this group and have a quick question. I planted a nice mound of Purple Fountain Grass last year and am wondering what the chances are of it coming back this year. Do they last through a Tennessee mild winter?

Right now it looks like a bundle of dried hay. I know that there is probably no definitive answer because it all depends on planting location and temps, so i guess my actual question is this. How soon will I see new growth if it is going to come back this season? I don't want to trash it if its still got life left in it.

Thanks!
kim
Zone 6
Hi Kim,

It's rated hardy to zone 9, so I'd say it's a goner if you are in zone 6. It would be an annual in your zone. You may get lucky and find some of the seed heads have sprouted new plants.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c..._setaceum.html
http://www.denverplants.com/frnsgras...penni_purp.htm

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.