Old 18-03-2005, 12:13 AM
Ima Googler

Default Purple Fountain Grass in Tennessee

Hi everybody!

I'm new to this group and have a quick question. I planted a nice
mound of Purple Fountain Grass last year and am wondering what the
chances are of it coming back this year. Do they last through a
Tennessee mild winter?

Right now it looks like a bundle of dried hay. I know that there is
probably no definitive answer because it all depends on planting
location and temps, so i guess my actual question is this. How soon
will I see new growth if it is going to come back this season? I don't
want to trash it if its still got life left in it.

Thanks!
kim
Zone 6

Old 18-03-2005, 01:23 AM
Travis

Ima Googler wrote:
Hi everybody!

I'm new to this group and have a quick question. I planted a nice
mound of Purple Fountain Grass last year and am wondering what the
chances are of it coming back this year. Do they last through a
Tennessee mild winter?

Right now it looks like a bundle of dried hay. I know that there
is probably no definitive answer because it all depends on planting
location and temps, so i guess my actual question is this. How
soon will I see new growth if it is going to come back this season?
I don't want to trash it if its still got life left in it.

Thanks!
kim
Zone 6

Google is your friend.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 18-03-2005, 05:51 AM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ima Googler
Hi everybody!

I'm new to this group and have a quick question. I planted a nice mound of Purple Fountain Grass last year and am wondering what the chances are of it coming back this year. Do they last through a Tennessee mild winter?

Right now it looks like a bundle of dried hay. I know that there is probably no definitive answer because it all depends on planting location and temps, so i guess my actual question is this. How soon will I see new growth if it is going to come back this season? I don't want to trash it if its still got life left in it.

Thanks!
kim
Zone 6
Hi Kim,

It's rated hardy to zone 9, so I'd say it's a goner if you are in zone 6. It would be an annual in your zone. You may get lucky and find some of the seed heads have sprouted new plants.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c..._setaceum.html
http://www.denverplants.com/frnsgras...penni_purp.htm

Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 18-03-2005, 12:57 PM
Ima Googler

Thanks for the reply! I hope I get lucky and find some new plants, but
I suppose I'll go ahead and clean up its mess and not expect anything.

Old 18-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Jenn Vanderslice

Hi Victoria,

Just thought I'd let you know that the purple fountain grass seeds that
you sent me sprouted yesterday.
After reading how invasive it is in the south, I talked with another
Master Gardener that had grown it. She grew it in a container and lost
it over winter here in zone 6-7 (they can't make up their minds on our
zone!). Guess I won't have to worry about it being invasive to my
garden...but I will have to remember to collect seeds at the end of the
season.

Thanks again,
Jenn

escape wrote:
I live in Zone 8b and mine sometimes returns, sometimes not. So, I'd say you
don't have a good chance if the soil temps were below 40 for any length of time.

On 17 Mar 2005 16:13:55 -0800, "Ima Googler" opined:

Hi everybody!

I'm new to this group and have a quick question. I planted a nice
mound of Purple Fountain Grass last year and am wondering what the
chances are of it coming back this year. Do they last through a
Tennessee mild winter?

Right now it looks like a bundle of dried hay. I know that there is
probably no definitive answer because it all depends on planting
location and temps, so i guess my actual question is this. How soon
will I see new growth if it is going to come back this season? I don't
want to trash it if its still got life left in it.

Thanks!
kim
Zone 6

ASC: Born to Herf '05: http://www.geocities.com/borntoherf/sponsors.htm
RCTY F.O.s: http://tinyurl.com/64dq5
Moon Garden Blog: http://moongarden.tblog.com/

Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing wonder and awe -
the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant

Old 18-03-2005, 02:50 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ima Googler
Thanks for the reply! I planted a nice mound of Purple Fountain Grass last year and am wondering what the chances are of it coming back this year. I hope I get lucky and find some new plants, but I suppose I'll go ahead and clean up its mess and not expect anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt
It's rated hardy to zone 9, so I'd say it's a goner if you are in zone 6. You may get lucky and find some of the seed heads have sprouted new plants.
Ima, I'm posting from a forum and not usenet, so I don't know if I've cut and pasted this correctly. Hope so. Anyway, I should have stated that the seed heads would drop the seeds on the ground for new plants to sprout, but you probably already know that. Anyway, you could just cut the stalks near or to the ground for now and wait until plants in your garden begin to sprout before you dig it up and disturb the soil around it to look for new sprouts.
Newt
__________________
Old 18-03-2005, 04:02 PM
dps

I've had it come up the next year in MA zone 5/6 after a moderate
winter. Not reliably enough to call it perennial here, but in TN, maybe?

Trim some of it back and see if there's some green stuff down in the
middle of the hay. I'm not familiar with TN growing seasons, but up here
it started showing green in early spring. Not the first stuff up, but
not too long after mud season.

Old 19-03-2005, 01:54 PM
Jenn Vanderslice

escape wrote:

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:34:55 GMT, Jenn Vanderslice
opined:

Hi Victoria,

Just thought I'd let you know that the purple fountain grass seeds that
you sent me sprouted yesterday.

Good, but they aren't purple fountain grass! They are Pennisetum setaceum, but
not 'Rubrum.' These are exactly like the purple, only the plumes are white and
foliage green. They reseed readily and I have a farm here of them!

Thanks again. I went back and searched the ever expanding internet again.
http://www.santarosagardens.com/brow...l-Grasses.html

I seem to have the reoccurring problem of mounds of mis-information
everywhere. Took me a long time to realize that there is a HUGE
difference between brugmansia and datura. According to many websites,
magazine articles and books....they're the same plant.
;-)

--
ASC: Born to Herf '05: http://www.geocities.com/borntoherf/sponsors.htm
RCTY F.O.s: http://tinyurl.com/64dq5
Moon Garden Blog: http://moongarden.tblog.com/

Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing wonder and awe -
the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant

[IMG] code is On

Seeking Purple Fountain Grass and Banana Peter F. North Carolina 3 02-10-2006 11:48 PM
Purple leaf fountain grass ROSS Gardening 0 28-01-2006 03:02 PM
Starting a lawn in Tennessee - HELP! GarciaGM Gardening 2 29-03-2003 01:32 AM
Spring in Tennessee Table Roses 1 24-02-2003 01:04 PM
Looking for fellow aquarists in Eastern Tennessee.... 350X_Rider Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 17-02-2003 04:38 PM