Old 18-03-2005, 09:04 AM
Martello

"Dave Poole" wrote in a message:
snip
One thing I feel I ought to point out is that you mention your archway
is made of trellis. Even the most slender of climbing roses will need
a strong, well constructed support in the long term and if the archway
is made of lightweight trellis (as often seen in kits sold in garden
centres and DIY stores) it may collapse under the weight after a few
years.

---
Thanks for all your advice and rose recommendations. However, after reading
Dave Poole's message, I think that in time, my trellis archway might not be
able to support a mature climbing rose in full leaf and flower. A friend has
pointed out that roses don't just grow outwards, they grow inwards too and
would soon take up a lot of the space through my arch. Perhaps an Ipomoea or
two would be less demanding!

Martello