Old 15-03-2005, 02:28 PM
Martello

Default Rose recommendation

I would welcome any well scented, red flowering rambling rose recommendation
for my 8½' wooden trellis arch, leading into my garden. The arch has an
east/west aspect. The west side, very near to a brick wall, already has a
young honeysuckle growing up it. As I would prefer a rose that is not too
vigorous, perhaps a climber might not be suitable?

Thank you
Martello

Old 15-03-2005, 03:37 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Martello" wrote in message
I would welcome any well scented, red flowering rambling rose

recommendation
for my 8½' wooden trellis arch, leading into my garden. The arch has an
east/west aspect. The west side, very near to a brick wall, already has a
young honeysuckle growing up it. As I would prefer a rose that is not too
vigorous, perhaps a climber might not be suitable?

Thank you
Martello

There are not many red ramblers, Excelsia is red while Alexandra girault is
a strong pink.

There are however lots of red climbing roses and several of the new ones are
not that huge, I don't grow any so I will leave reccomendations to others!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 15-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Dave Poole

"Martello" wrote:

I would welcome any well scented, red flowering rambling rose recommendation
for my 8½' wooden trellis arch, leading into my garden.

[snip]
As I would prefer a rose that is not too
vigorous, perhaps a climber might not be suitable?

Presumably you need a good repeat flowering rose, so that would
discount most ramblers since many are once flowering only. In any
case ramblers tend to be the biggest growers, carrying on for many
yards - especially if not regularly and correctly pruned.

By contrast, climbers pose fewer problems and there are varieties
available that will form short pillars 8 feet high as well as those
suited to covering large areas. If the archway is over 8 feet high, I
assume you would want the rose to grow over the top as well? If that
is the case, it would be better to plant a rose that will grow to 10
or 12 feet at least. Of the red varieties that I know, the following
are suitable for arches, offer repeat flowering, good fragrance and
are not especially prone to disease:

Copenhagen: Deep scarlet, sweet fragrance, good disease resistance

Danse du Feu: Bright orange scarlet that can purple with age. Light,
but pleasing fragrance and very free flowering over a long period.

Cramoisi Superieur: Crimson, fruity fragrance, good repeater, slender
somewhat twiggy growth. Smaller flowers than most climbers, but very
freely produced.

Red Parfum: Bright red, loosely formed, somewhat informal flowers,
medium fragrance and good repeat flowering

Dublin Bay: Bright red, very full flowers, medium fragrance. Good
repeat performance.

One thing I feel I ought to point out is that you mention your archway
is made of trellis. Even the most slender of climbing roses will need
a strong, well constructed support in the long term and if the archway
is made of lightweight trellis (as often seen in kits sold in garden
centres and DIY stores) it may collapse under the weight after a few
years.

HTH
Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November
Old 15-03-2005, 08:05 PM
p00kie

"Martello" wrote in message
I would welcome any well scented, red flowering rambling rose
recommendation
for my 8½' wooden trellis arch, leading into my garden. The arch has an
east/west aspect. The west side, very near to a brick wall, already has a
young honeysuckle growing up it. As I would prefer a rose that is not too
vigorous, perhaps a climber might not be suitable?

Thank you
Martello

Try these sites:

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/
or
http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/

Both know for their roses.
They both have search engines within their sites that help you with what you
want to look for,

Old 18-03-2005, 09:04 AM
Martello

"Dave Poole" wrote in a message:
snip
One thing I feel I ought to point out is that you mention your archway
is made of trellis. Even the most slender of climbing roses will need
a strong, well constructed support in the long term and if the archway
is made of lightweight trellis (as often seen in kits sold in garden
centres and DIY stores) it may collapse under the weight after a few
years.

---
Thanks for all your advice and rose recommendations. However, after reading
Dave Poole's message, I think that in time, my trellis archway might not be
able to support a mature climbing rose in full leaf and flower. A friend has
pointed out that roses don't just grow outwards, they grow inwards too and
would soon take up a lot of the space through my arch. Perhaps an Ipomoea or
two would be less demanding!

Martello