Old 18-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Jenn Vanderslice

Hi Victoria,

Just thought I'd let you know that the purple fountain grass seeds that
you sent me sprouted yesterday.
After reading how invasive it is in the south, I talked with another
Master Gardener that had grown it. She grew it in a container and lost
it over winter here in zone 6-7 (they can't make up their minds on our
zone!). Guess I won't have to worry about it being invasive to my
garden...but I will have to remember to collect seeds at the end of the
season.

Thanks again,
Jenn

escape wrote:
I live in Zone 8b and mine sometimes returns, sometimes not. So, I'd say you
don't have a good chance if the soil temps were below 40 for any length of time.

On 17 Mar 2005 16:13:55 -0800, "Ima Googler" opined:

Hi everybody!

I'm new to this group and have a quick question. I planted a nice
mound of Purple Fountain Grass last year and am wondering what the
chances are of it coming back this year. Do they last through a
Tennessee mild winter?

Right now it looks like a bundle of dried hay. I know that there is
probably no definitive answer because it all depends on planting
location and temps, so i guess my actual question is this. How soon
will I see new growth if it is going to come back this season? I don't
want to trash it if its still got life left in it.

Thanks!
kim
Zone 6

ASC: Born to Herf '05: http://www.geocities.com/borntoherf/sponsors.htm
RCTY F.O.s: http://tinyurl.com/64dq5
Moon Garden Blog: http://moongarden.tblog.com/

Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing wonder and awe -
the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant