Old 19-03-2005, 12:10 AM
Andrew G

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...
"Andrew G" writes:
Cutting a long story short, I have been told the carp in a dam at work

are
European carp, but from what I have seen, they aren't. But then again,

Koi
carp have whiskers, from pics I've seen, which these in the dam don't.

The
ones in the dam are coloured, looking a little like very oversize

goldfish.

Perhaps they really are goldfish? If you liberate unwanted goldfish into
a waterway they grow to their natural size--enormous, for they are a
member of the carp family.

That's what I'm thinking. Apparently they were put in when the development
started (7 yrs ago approx). A huge damn, with aquatic plants keep them fed
well. They are a torpedo shape as Chookie suggests.
About 3 yrs ago we had the waterways (I think) came up with a boat that had
rods going into the water to electrically charge the water. Some fish got
zapped, were scooped out, taken away for ident, but nothing more was said.
There are plenty still left there. We had noticed they eat the duckweed and
it was suggested they get put in other dams that lead to the main dam to rid
the duckweed, but no-one did "cos it's illegal to catch these and put them
back in the water, or another water catchment", no one was game to do it and
be held responsible.
Thanks for the help