Old 19-03-2005, 11:14 PM
Emrys Davies

"Alex Woodward" wrote in message
I have an heather bed (semi-successful) and would like to know other

plants
that will compliment it. The soil is probably alkaline and is clay

based.
Having said that, I have recently added huge amounts of peat based

compost
and horticultural grit etc to lower its level and help it to drain.

Recently
added spring heathers are doing great, but the summer flowering ones

seem to
be struggling. I'm hoping the soil improvements will help some.

Anyway, assuming all the heathers do fine, what complimentary plants

are
there out there that will help to highlight the heathers and give some
contrast?

I live inland UK with typical English weather.

Alex

You need conifers of varying height and and habit.

Juniperus communis Compressa is a must
http://www.ingwersen.co.uk/Juniperus%20communis%20'Compressa'.htm

Thuja orientalis 'Aurea Nana' - for shape and colour
http://tinyurl.com/3o66w

Thuja occidentalis emerald - for height, colour and slimness.
http://tinyurl.com/6hvsl

A few choice ferns also go well with heathers.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.