Old 19-03-2005, 08:34 PM
Alex Woodward

Default plants to compliment a heather bed

I have an heather bed (semi-successful) and would like to know other plants
that will compliment it. The soil is probably alkaline and is clay based.
Having said that, I have recently added huge amounts of peat based compost
and horticultural grit etc to lower its level and help it to drain. Recently
added spring heathers are doing great, but the summer flowering ones seem to
be struggling. I'm hoping the soil improvements will help some.

Anyway, assuming all the heathers do fine, what complimentary plants are
there out there that will help to highlight the heathers and give some
contrast?

I live inland UK with typical English weather.

Alex

Old 19-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Kay

In article , Alex Woodward
writes
I have an heather bed (semi-successful) and would like to know other plants
that will compliment it. The soil is probably alkaline

That might be why it's only semi successful - many heathers will not
tolerate an alkaline soil.

and is clay based.
Having said that, I have recently added huge amounts of peat based compost
and horticultural grit etc to lower its level and help it to drain. Recently
added spring heathers are doing great, but the summer flowering ones seem to
be struggling.

IIRC that's right - the winter flowering heathers are Erica carnea and
will tolerate lime, the summer ones are other ericas and Calluna and
need a non-alkaline to acid soil.

--
Kay

Old 19-03-2005, 10:30 PM
Mike Lyle

Kay wrote:
In article , Alex

Woodward
writes
I have an heather bed (semi-successful) and would like to know

other
plants that will compliment it. The soil is probably alkaline

That might be why it's only semi successful - many heathers will

not
tolerate an alkaline soil.

and is clay based.
Having said that, I have recently added huge amounts of peat based
compost and horticultural grit etc to lower its level and help it

drain. Recently added spring heathers are doing great, but the
summer flowering ones seem to be struggling.

IIRC that's right - the winter flowering heathers are Erica carnea

and
will tolerate lime, the summer ones are other ericas and Calluna

and
need a non-alkaline to acid soil.

I'd give up on Callunas in your position: there's no point in busting
your spheroids to grow a plant where nature doesn't believe in it.
What to grow with heaths and heathers is a very tricky problem: I've
never really solved it. Conservatively speaking, you want things
which would grow along with them in the wild; but since gardening is
artificial anyhow, who wants to be conservative? The traditional
compromise is dwarf conifers of various kinds, and forget about
producing a summer display in the same bed: I rather like the effect,
but some think it's too corny for words. At my last place I ended up
with old-fashioned pinks round my rocky heath bed: when they were in
full bloom and scent you forgot about the ericas, and while the
ericas were in bloom you forgot about the pinks. Shortish (= up to
five feet or so) conifers towards the middle, pinks towards and at
the edges. I had a few shrubby St John's Worts and some pink
chionodoxa in there, too; and I'm still trying to decide if they were
a good idea or not. I'll visit my purchasers one day, and if they've
left it alone I'll decide it worked.

I'd say grow whatever you fancy, and rip it out if you don't like it.
You may well decide that the bed should contain nothing but the
ericas. A bit of moss would be good company, though.

--
Mike.

Old 19-03-2005, 11:14 PM
Emrys Davies

"Alex Woodward" wrote in message
[...]

You need conifers of varying height and and habit.

Juniperus communis Compressa is a must
http://www.ingwersen.co.uk/Juniperus%20communis%20'Compressa'.htm

Thuja orientalis 'Aurea Nana' - for shape and colour
http://tinyurl.com/3o66w

Thuja occidentalis emerald - for height, colour and slimness.
http://tinyurl.com/6hvsl

A few choice ferns also go well with heathers.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 23-03-2005, 08:00 PM
Magwitch

Alex Woodward muttered:

I have an heather bed (semi-successful) and would like to know other plants
that will compliment it. The soil is probably alkaline and is clay based.
Having said that, I have recently added huge amounts of peat based compost
and horticultural grit etc to lower its level and help it to drain. Recently
added spring heathers are doing great, but the summer flowering ones seem to
be struggling. I'm hoping the soil improvements will help some.

Anyway, assuming all the heathers do fine, what complimentary plants are
there out there that will help to highlight the heathers and give some
contrast?

I live inland UK with typical English weather.

Alex

I go with what Monty Don said a few years ago on GQT... "The only place for
heather, is on a moor..." )

Old 24-03-2005, 05:31 PM
JennyC

"Magwitch" wrote in message ...
Alex Woodward muttered:

I have an heather bed (semi-successful) and would like to know other plants
that will compliment it. The soil is probably alkaline and is clay based.
Having said that, I have recently added huge amounts of peat based compost
and horticultural grit etc to lower its level and help it to drain. Recently
added spring heathers are doing great, but the summer flowering ones seem to
be struggling. I'm hoping the soil improvements will help some.

Anyway, assuming all the heathers do fine, what complimentary plants are
there out there that will help to highlight the heathers and give some
contrast?

I live inland UK with typical English weather.

Alex

I go with what Monty Don said a few years ago on GQT... "The only place for
heather, is on a moor..." )

I knew there was another reason to love him :~))
Jenny