Old 19-03-2005, 11:42 PM
small fish

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
How does the price of gunite compare to an EPDM liner? Specifically,

if
all the prep such as rebar and mesh is already in place. I have concerns
about a certain swimming yard mammal and her claws if I just use a liner.

The Koi USA article was in the Nov/Dec issue. "Polyurea Elastomer Spray
Liners: Wow!" by Nancy Moore & Lucy Macneil. Tim Zuber is the VP of

Applied
Resin Technology, Inc., in Woodinville, WA he can be reached at
(425-483-0323) or

As far as durability, "The strength and elasticity of the product do make
it nearly immune to damage." Then they talk about the time they went to

set
a 7,000+ lb. granite rock and the track hoe operator, at full extension of
his machine, lost control of the stone and it dropped 9'. The rounded end
landing in an area approx. 12"X18", punching a crater in the substrate
(gravel over the liner) a foot deep, the liner was unharmed. There is a
picture of this, btw. One of the few times having rocks (as a cushion) on
the bottom of the pond was a good thing. There was no water in the pond,

so
thankfully no critters either. ~ jan

I guess my question was confusing considering the thread drift to two
different spray-on products and the comparison to EPDM irrelevant. I should
have just asked how expensive a gunite installation was, which is the
concrete spray-on stuff.
But, thanks for the info on the polyurea application. I prefer less
plastic, more natural, but it does sound like this stuff is tough. It also
ties in with kathy's link to natural swimming pools, as I can't imagine
staying out of the water when temperatures get hot here, as well as the
swimming dog.