Old 20-03-2005, 01:46 AM
George

"Hal" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 21:26:23 GMT, "George"
wrote:

My brother has a large partially in-ground swimming pool. He forgot to drain
the filter one winter, and the water froze and broke the backflush valve.
Because of its age, he decided to buy a new one instead repairing this one, so
he gave it to me. I just needed the tank itself, so I stripped out the guts
and
converted it into a biofilter.

So what you have is a pool filter with a more coarse medium than
sand?? I often wondered how that would work.

Regards

Hal

No, I have a former pool filter that has been gutted of all its parts,
retrofitted with a basket strainer in the bottom, filled half-full with
medium-coarse gravel, and a pump mounted in the void above the gravel and
connected to a kevlar plate which is bolted to the top of the filter housing and
the top opening. The pump outlet and electricaly is fitted through this plate.
The entire unit is submerged into the pond, beneath the waterfall at one end.
When the pump is on, it draws water into the filter from the bottom of the
filter, which travels through the basket strainer and the gravel, then is pumped
back out over the waterfall and into the pond. The intake of the filter is
connected to a 6 feet long hose which is connected to a pre-filter which is
situated right in the middle of the bottom of the pond.