Old 20-03-2005, 01:57 AM
small fish

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
I had a bad raccon problem and bought one of those ultrasonic sound
emitters with motion dection. It works very well. A far easier
solution. Dave

What is the range on these? Is the motion detector directional?

I use the Scarecrow, not sure if this is the same as what Dave is talking
about. Pictured he http://www.km01.com/gardeninghome.html

I use one on both ponds, the get-it-wet range, is at least 30 feet, with
activation further, when turned up to the most sensitive number. The one
covering the koi ponds is about 10-12 feet from the edge of the pond and
visually covers a swath of about 50ish feet. You control the sprinkler

part
just like any rainbird, narrow to wide. The burst last about 3 seconds and
the reset takes about 8 seconds. I had a raccoon visit prior to
installing, he didn't catch anything, but sure made a mess. Since the
sprinkler no return visits and no losses to birds, and I have had a heron
on my roof, and a kingfisher on my flag pole, so it isn't like they don't
know it is here.

I also use fake fish to deter kingfishers. Not sure if the sprinkler would
or not. ~ jan

Wow, thanks for the details. Since having a dog around again, I have no
visits from raccoons. But once, I had to go out of town for 10 days and my
dog stayed elsewhere. The cat nanny reported the raccoons came in the second
night. So, they were casing the joint for two years awaiting their
opportunity. I like them, but there's just too many mouths to feed around
here as it is.
I had no idea the motion sensor had that range. Thanks!

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a