Old 18-03-2005, 01:21 AM
DD DDD

Default Protecting Pond from Raccoons

I read a lot here. I was wondering if anyone has ever used 1/4 inch
plexiglass over the top of a 200 gallon round pond? I would mount it 1
inch above the pond. My only problem id would condensation form inside
the plexiglass? I can put a hinge lid and anything else needed for
cleaning ect. I just dont like the net idea. Raccoons can eat through
that. Ant ideas would be great. Thank you.

Old 18-03-2005, 03:23 AM
kathy

I guess I would be concerned about the sun
coming thru the plexiglass and heating
the water up but I could be totally wrong!

You can also try the electric shock fido
fence or the motion detection sprinkler.

good luck!
kathy

Old 18-03-2005, 04:27 PM
kathy

Oh, and forgot, you might be able to ask to
borrow or rent humane traps from
the animal control authority in your
area.
(works if you have one bothersome raccoon
but not for a horde.)

kathy

Old 19-03-2005, 06:09 AM
small fish

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Oh, and forgot, you might be able to ask to
borrow or rent humane traps from
the animal control authority in your
area.
(works if you have one bothersome raccoon
but not for a horde.)

Raccoons are generally territorial. If you remove the local raccoon,
another moves in to its territory. A horde is usually mama and her babies,
although a gang of five odd urban raccoons used to visit my house and bang
on the screen door for cat food.
Animal control in my area discourages relocating raccoons. They don't
like the presence of dogs, though.

Old 19-03-2005, 02:17 PM
small fish

"KoiDave" wrote in message
oups.com...
I had a bad raccon problem and bought one of those ultrasonic sound
emitters with motion dection. It works very well. A far easier
solution.
Dave

What is the range on these? Is the motion detector directional?

Old 20-03-2005, 01:57 AM
small fish

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
I had a bad raccon problem and bought one of those ultrasonic sound
emitters with motion dection. It works very well. A far easier
solution. Dave

What is the range on these? Is the motion detector directional?

I use the Scarecrow, not sure if this is the same as what Dave is talking
about. Pictured he http://www.km01.com/gardeninghome.html

I use one on both ponds, the get-it-wet range, is at least 30 feet, with
activation further, when turned up to the most sensitive number. The one
covering the koi ponds is about 10-12 feet from the edge of the pond and
visually covers a swath of about 50ish feet. You control the sprinkler

part
just like any rainbird, narrow to wide. The burst last about 3 seconds and
the reset takes about 8 seconds. I had a raccoon visit prior to
installing, he didn't catch anything, but sure made a mess. Since the
sprinkler no return visits and no losses to birds, and I have had a heron
on my roof, and a kingfisher on my flag pole, so it isn't like they don't
know it is here.

I also use fake fish to deter kingfishers. Not sure if the sprinkler would
or not. ~ jan

Wow, thanks for the details. Since having a dog around again, I have no
visits from raccoons. But once, I had to go out of town for 10 days and my
dog stayed elsewhere. The cat nanny reported the raccoons came in the second
night. So, they were casing the joint for two years awaiting their
opportunity. I like them, but there's just too many mouths to feed around
here as it is.
I had no idea the motion sensor had that range. Thanks!

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 20-03-2005, 02:09 AM
small fish

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...
My concern about sonic devices is for
any resident animals in the home. We all know
their hearing is so much stronger than ours.
I've done some surfing around the web looking
at pros and cons and there's a lot of info
out there. (I Google, therefore I am...;-)
kathy :-)

True, and even if directional, I wouldn't want to subject my guys to
that. Of course, the cats would think the same of a sprinkler. I wonder if a
floodlight and recording of a barking dog would have any effect on a
raccoon? :-)

Old 23-03-2005, 04:18 AM
KoiDave

Well, my sonic system is directional and only comes on when there is
motion around the pond. You set a dial on the box to adjust the
frequency of the sound for the animal you want to annoy. The range
seems to be 25 feet. And my cats, who stay in the house, 15 feet away,
don't seem to even know it is even there. I have not heard the
neighbors dogs react to it either.

I went from torn up plants, over turned rocks and scared fish to no
problems at all.

Do your due dilligence and decide for yourself. I'm not giving advice,
merely stating facts as they apply to my situation.

Dave

Old 24-03-2005, 06:15 AM
melissa

hello!
havahart makes a motion detector sprinkler called a spray away. i got
it from ace hardware and it was only $50 instead of the $89 ive seen
elsewhere. good luck!
melissa