Old 24-03-2005, 10:24 PM
Michael Persiano

In a message dated 3/24/2005 3:35:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

I'm going to be digging up a large ilex crenata next week. It's
big--10" base, 4 ft in diameter roughly. It was pruned late last
summer, and Mike Pollock and I did some root pruning and left it in the
ground. I'm wondering if I can cut it back to no foliage. I've always
thought that broadleaf evergreens need some foliage in order to
rejuvenate. Any thoughts?

Craig (and Mike):

You can absolutely cut back hard on the foliage, but I would not execute the
hard pruning until the temperatures are in the 60s Fahrenheit. In your neck
of the woods, it's still going to be a while before spring arrives.

When you cut back, be certain to leave enough foliage to ensure sapflow
continues. After pushing back the growth, Superfeed the specimen to develop
foliage and new branching in the desired areas. And do not forget to use the
Roots products when you pot the tree.

When you guys get a chance, send me a JPEG in a private email. I will give
you a few design suggestions.

Extend my regards to the practitioners at Yama Ki.

Cordially,

Michael

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++