Old 24-03-2005, 08:35 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] digging up ilex crenata

I'm going to be digging up a large ilex crenata next week. It's
big--10" base, 4 ft in diameter roughly. It was pruned late last
summer, and Mike Pollock and I did some root pruning and left it in the
ground. I'm wondering if I can cut it back to no foliage. I've always
thought that broadleaf evergreens need some foliage in order to
rejuvenate. Any thoughts?

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-03-2005, 10:24 PM
Michael Persiano

In a message dated 3/24/2005 3:35:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

I'm going to be digging up a large ilex crenata next week. It's
big--10" base, 4 ft in diameter roughly. It was pruned late last
summer, and Mike Pollock and I did some root pruning and left it in the
ground. I'm wondering if I can cut it back to no foliage. I've always
thought that broadleaf evergreens need some foliage in order to
rejuvenate. Any thoughts?

Craig (and Mike):

You can absolutely cut back hard on the foliage, but I would not execute the
hard pruning until the temperatures are in the 60s Fahrenheit. In your neck
of the woods, it's still going to be a while before spring arrives.

When you cut back, be certain to leave enough foliage to ensure sapflow
continues. After pushing back the growth, Superfeed the specimen to develop
foliage and new branching in the desired areas. And do not forget to use the
Roots products when you pot the tree.

When you guys get a chance, send me a JPEG in a private email. I will give
you a few design suggestions.

Extend my regards to the practitioners at Yama Ki.

Cordially,

Michael

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-03-2005, 01:45 AM
Marty Haber

Craig - Do yourself a favor and leave it in the ground until fall. That
way, it will have a chance to develop some root ramification.
Marty

Old 25-03-2005, 03:17 PM
Craig Cowing

On Mar 24, 2005, at 8:45 PM, Marty Haber wrote:

Craig - Do yourself a favor and leave it in the ground until fall.
That way, it will have a chance to develop some root ramification.
Marty

Unfortunately it's got to come out this spring. It's going to be cut
off and discarded if I don't collect it this spring.

Old 25-03-2005, 07:00 PM
Marty Haber

Ah, the vagaries of life!
On Mar 24, 2005, at 8:45 PM, Marty Haber wrote:

Craig - Do yourself a favor and leave it in the ground until fall. That
way, it will have a chance to develop some root ramification.
Marty

Unfortunately it's got to come out this spring. It's going to be cut off
and discarded if I don't collect it this spring.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

Old 25-03-2005, 07:07 PM
Craig Cowing

On Mar 25, 2005, at 1:58 PM, Marty Haber wrote:

Ah, the vagaries of life!

Yep, and the way I'm looking at it, this tree is too good to pass up
even though I know I'm pushing it a bit. On the other hand, if I don't
collect it it will be compost. So, I'm ahead if it survives, which I
think it will.
Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37