Old 25-03-2005, 04:53 PM
Anil Kaushik

Dear Ovais

Ficuses in my opinion are very hardy plants. In tropical India, during the
growing period, over-watering or under-watering does not harm them . They like
hot and humid climate and grow very fast. During the monsoons (summer rains)
more than one inch thick cuttings root easily. Contrary to the popular practise
not to water the plants in hot Sun, I often water them in the afternoon during
the peak summers, and they relish it. They like plenty of humidity but if it is
provided, the leaf size increases. Many of these can tolerate complete
defoliation three times in a year. Because of the fast growth, the pot gets
filled very fast and need repotting every year. Otherwise growth slows down. To
train a good Bonsai from this genus, ruthless pruning of roots and foliage is
required.

The above observations and practises may differ and may not work in temperate
climate. But if Ficus benjimina or Ficus nerifolia can be cultivated in the
temperate climate even if as indoor plants, I don't see any reason why other
species of this genus cannot be grown there!

Regards

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"