Old 23-03-2005, 08:11 AM
Tiziano

I David
it depesnds how dry is the air where you live
you can abuse on sprying on teh leaves
but you must be careful with soil watering
the good rule is to let the soil dry to the pointthat you can pinch
som soil between fingers and it falls ALMOST in dust
to this point you soak the plant or water as you wish until the water
comes out of the draining holes under the pot ..
After that ,you leave the plant quiet until the soil is as dry as
before , it can take from few days to one week or more..
according the place( room /terrace/ garden) temp end the size of the pot
soggy soil is very bad so be careful

David Pollitt wrote:

Hi there, I'm new to these lists and bonsai in general. I've got a ficus
that I'm starting to bonsai and I was wondering how important it is to
spray the plant with water as well as watering the soil?
Do I need to keep the leaves and trunk moist or doesn't it make any
difference?

I'm in Queensland, Australia where its hot and dry all year round.

Thanks in advance.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 23-03-2005, 09:12 AM
Eugene Chan.

my 2cents worth -
there are many varieties of ficus - i notice tt the small ( and thin)
leaf type of ficus needs a lot of water -if they do not receive enough
water during a hot spell the leaves turn yellow and drop off - that's what
happened to my ficus - i am referring to tropical climate conditions....

fortunately i was able to save them before its too late - i moved them to a
shady spot and watered them at least once a day until it was all leafy
again - and then i placed them back in the open and i water them twice a
day without fail if it does not rain..... but the bigger and thicker leaf
variety of ficus are hardier to drought.

i water the soil and not the leaves.......but no harm watering the leaves
every now and then - it keeps them clean from dust and dirt.

Tiziano
.NET cc:
Sent by: Internet Subject: [IBC] Ficus watering
Bonsai Club

.LSOFT.COM

23/03/2005 04:11
PM
Please respond to

David Pollitt wrote:

Hi there, I'm new to these lists and bonsai in general. I've got a ficus
that I'm starting to bonsai and I was wondering how important it is to
spray the plant with water as well as watering the soil?
Do I need to keep the leaves and trunk moist or doesn't it make any
difference?

I'm in Queensland, Australia where its hot and dry all year round.

Thanks in advance.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail

+++++

Old 25-03-2005, 06:56 AM
Andrew G

"David Pollitt" wrote in message
OFT.COM...
Hi there, I'm new to these lists and bonsai in general. I've got a ficus
that I'm starting to bonsai and I was wondering how important it is to
spray the plant with water as well as watering the soil?
Do I need to keep the leaves and trunk moist or doesn't it make any
difference?

I'm in Queensland, Australia where its hot and dry all year round.

Hi there
If it's a Port Jackson or Moreton Bay fig you can let the soil dry out
between waterings which encourages a more thicker trunk. If you like aerial
roots get some gravel/blue metal and place in a tray, add water, and sit the
pot on top. That way it creates humidity but the pot doesn't sit in the
water keeping the soil wet.
I have a port jackson fig in black sand type soil, and it's trunk has
thickened much more than an equivalent fig in bonsai potting mix, as the
sand dries out quicker and more often.
This would probably go for other ficus too, in regards to trunk thickening
or aerial roots.
When I say dry out, I mean not to the point of the plant wilting, but the
soil is almost dry, then thoroughly re-water, even if you water by placing
pot in a tray of water to soak the soil.
Oh and don't bother wetting the foliage unless it gets dirty from
pollution/dust, in which case do it once a week, or once a fortnight.
Good luck
Andrew
--
Mid North Coast
New South Wales

Thanks in advance.

****

Old 25-03-2005, 04:53 PM
Anil Kaushik

Dear Ovais

Ficuses in my opinion are very hardy plants. In tropical India, during the
growing period, over-watering or under-watering does not harm them . They like
hot and humid climate and grow very fast. During the monsoons (summer rains)
more than one inch thick cuttings root easily. Contrary to the popular practise
not to water the plants in hot Sun, I often water them in the afternoon during
the peak summers, and they relish it. They like plenty of humidity but if it is
provided, the leaf size increases. Many of these can tolerate complete
defoliation three times in a year. Because of the fast growth, the pot gets
filled very fast and need repotting every year. Otherwise growth slows down. To
train a good Bonsai from this genus, ruthless pruning of roots and foliage is
required.

The above observations and practises may differ and may not work in temperate
climate. But if Ficus benjimina or Ficus nerifolia can be cultivated in the
temperate climate even if as indoor plants, I don't see any reason why other
species of this genus cannot be grown there!

Regards

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"

Old 25-03-2005, 05:05 PM
Ovais

Thank you Anil , Karachi is a Ficus city, we have it every where, i agree
with you on most of your advice.

how ever , overwatering , and susequent root rot is the reason for loss of
plants.
Do you have any suggestion on soil mixture for ficuses?

ovais

Old 26-03-2005, 04:19 AM
Anil Kaushik

Ovais

The recipes for potting mixture for ficuses is as varied as the number of
species. After experimenting with different mixtures, I have come to this
conclusion that any mixture with good POROSITY can be used for ficuses. In fact
every plant can grow in any mixture if it is POROUS and well balanced with macro
and micro elements. Don't bother about the ingredients if the plant is happy
and showing good growth.

Fortunately I have never encountered root rot and subsequent mortality with any
of the ficuses.

Old 27-03-2005, 10:55 PM
Ovais

Ficus in Karachi , grows in any medium, the advice on porosity and also
mixture by billy are a good advice.

In here we have following choices in terms of soil mixtures ingredients
which are as follows.

1-fine sand
2-rotted manure from sewage
3-rotted animal(cow and goat and buffalo) dung
4-rotted manure from slaughtered animals stomachs.Collected from abattoirs.
5-leaf mould, and other organic composts(small quantities)

typically the combination of no.1 with the other four forms the normal
potting soil for the potted plant, how ever for bonsai we add gravel, for
porosity.

ovais

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] ficus disease(IBC galery) John Carnes Bonsai 1 02-07-2009 04:40 AM
Ficus and watering Ole Kvaal Bonsai 3 20-06-2005 09:46 AM
[IBC] (IBC) Fertilizing and watering Vincent Kreyling Bonsai 2 30-04-2005 10:39 PM
[IBC] Ficus disease(IBC galery) Carlos P. Bonsai 1 06-04-2003 06:56 PM
[IBC] Hello & Ficus Benjimina Richard Jeffery Bonsai 0 29-01-2003 01:42 AM