Old 26-03-2005, 05:51 PM
Kay

In article , Tim Tyler writes
Pam Moore wrote or quoted:

I have some camellias in pots, and a blueberry, also potted, plus a
few other things which are in ericaceous compost. [...]

Is there any other ericaceous feed more suitable for such plants?
My camellias are flowering well and I the blueberry is budding up
nicely, but I feel they need a reat! All they get is an occasional
dose of tea!

I was suprised to learn that the tea plant and the blueberry plant
were rather close relatives.

Are you sure about that? As far as I am aware, tea is Camellia in the
family Theaceae, whereas Vaccinium (which includes blueberry) is
Ericaceae. Different families is rather a long way away to be described
as 'close'.

Googling shows them to be in different orders, and to come together only
at the superorder level. That's the same degree of relationship as
strawberry and poinsettia, so I don't think I'd hypothesise and degree
of edibility from that!

Looking in Usher 'Plants used by Man' there's no evidence of anyone
using tye leaves of any of the Vacciiums for anything. Otoh, the seeds
of the tea plant are used to make soap, and seeds of a near relative
(Camellia kissi) are used to stun fish.

--
Kay