Old 26-03-2005, 09:46 PM
Kay

In article , davout
writes
I've built three compost heaps, using posts and back plastic sheeting.

Two of the heaps are now almost full - how often should I turn over the
contents?

I don't bother at all, except when I am ready to use the next heap -
then I take all the unrotted stuff off the top and tip it into the empty
heap. That's the only turning it gets.

So basically what I do is fill A, then B. Empty unrotted stuff from A
into C, and use the rest of A.
Empty unrotted stuff from B into A and use the rest of B.
Empty unrotted stuff from C into B and use the rest of C.

And so on.

I may get to rotted stuff about 3/4 of the way up. Or I may not get to
rotted stuff until half way down the heap.

You will also find that the heap compacts enormously - it may be almost
full now, but give it a week, ad it'll be half empty again.
--
Kay