Old 26-03-2005, 06:32 PM
davout

Default How often to turn a composte heap?

I've built three compost heaps, using posts and back plastic sheeting.

Two of the heaps are now almost full - how often should I turn over the
contents?

Old 26-03-2005, 07:24 PM
Alan Gould

In article , davout
writes
I've built three compost heaps, using posts and back plastic sheeting.

Two of the heaps are now almost full - how often should I turn over the
contents?

When the contents of the heap/s have heated, then cooled, turn them once
and that should be enough.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 26-03-2005, 07:55 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Alan Gould wrote:
In article , davout
writes
I've built three compost heaps, using posts and back plastic sheeting.

Two of the heaps are now almost full - how often should I turn over the
contents?

When the contents of the heap/s have heated, then cooled, turn them once
and that should be enough.

Yes. But, if they haven't composted properly for any of the usual
reasons, correct the problem and give them another go. The only
universal rule is "whatever works is correct".

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-03-2005, 09:21 PM
davout

Most of the material has been in the heaps over the winter (at least 5
months) and it still hasn't rotted down much.

I sprinkled the heap with accellerant and water. What else should I be
doing?

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Alan Gould wrote:
In article , davout
writes

Old 26-03-2005, 09:46 PM
Kay

In article , davout
writes
I've built three compost heaps, using posts and back plastic sheeting.

Two of the heaps are now almost full - how often should I turn over the
contents?

I don't bother at all, except when I am ready to use the next heap -
then I take all the unrotted stuff off the top and tip it into the empty
heap. That's the only turning it gets.

So basically what I do is fill A, then B. Empty unrotted stuff from A
into C, and use the rest of A.
Empty unrotted stuff from B into A and use the rest of B.
Empty unrotted stuff from C into B and use the rest of C.

And so on.

I may get to rotted stuff about 3/4 of the way up. Or I may not get to
rotted stuff until half way down the heap.

You will also find that the heap compacts enormously - it may be almost
full now, but give it a week, ad it'll be half empty again.
--
Kay

Old 26-03-2005, 09:48 PM
Kay

In article , davout
writes
Most of the material has been in the heaps over the winter (at least 5
months) and it still hasn't rotted down much.

I sprinkled the heap with accellerant and water. What else should I be
doing?

Being patient.
You can't expect it to rot down fast in the winter (Why do we use
refrigerators?)
If things go well, you might get compost in 6 months in the summer. You
won't do it that fast in winter.

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Alan Gould wrote:
In article , davout
writes

Old 27-03-2005, 07:08 AM
Alan Gould

In article , davout
writes
Most of the material has been in the heaps over the winter (at least 5
months) and it still hasn't rotted down much.

I sprinkled the heap with accellerant and water. What else should I be
doing?

If you are 'heat' composting, follow your own suggestion and turn the
material. At this time of year it should warm up little then in a few
more months become compost. Wetting can help if the material is dry, but
if it has been open to winter rains, it could be counter-productive. If
you think the material is over wet, turn it then cover it and that
should accelerate the heating process.

Because we have a very large amount of material to deal with, we operate
the 'cold' composting method in which the material is not turned after
it has initially warmed up and cooled. That can take about 18-24 months
before it is ready to use. We have three heaps going at any one time,
one making, one maturing and one using. That ensures a continuous supply
of compost ready for use. Details and pictures of this system can be
seen in the urg composting FAQ at:

http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/organic.html
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 27-03-2005, 11:10 AM
davout

My heaps are under trees, protected from the elements and will hardly ever
get wet from the rain.

Each heap is about 6 ft wide x 5ft deep by 5 feet tall. The heaps were
almost completely filled by the end of last Autumn. When I turned them a
couple of days ago they had reduced in volume by about a third.

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , davout
writes

Old 27-03-2005, 12:03 PM
Alan Gould

In article , davout
writes
My heaps are under trees, protected from the elements and will hardly ever
get wet from the rain.

Each heap is about 6 ft wide x 5ft deep by 5 feet tall. The heaps were
almost completely filled by the end of last Autumn. When I turned them a
couple of days ago they had reduced in volume by about a third.

When the composting is finished, the heaps will be about 20-30 percent
of their original height. Having turned them a couple of days ago,
plunge your hand into the centre and you should feel some warmth already
beginning. You will also be able to judge moisture level, and sprinkle
some water on if necessary.

If you decide to turn the heaps again, try to work the outer material
into the centre as that is where the composting is most active.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 27-03-2005, 12:26 PM
Martin Brown

davout wrote:
My heaps are under trees, protected from the elements and will hardly ever
get wet from the rain.

That is probably going to make it longer than normal to rot down. Almost
certainly they are too dry and short of water for the fungal spores to
really get going. I guess the trees are evergreens?

I cut my grass the first time a couple of weeks ago. It was looking bad
from patches growing continuously over the winter. I was amazed that the
relatively small amount of clippings still heated up pretty fast. Even
though conditions turned cold again soon afterwards.

Each heap is about 6 ft wide x 5ft deep by 5 feet tall. The heaps were
almost completely filled by the end of last Autumn. When I turned them a
couple of days ago they had reduced in volume by about a third.

It is working then up to a point. But to get really fast hot composting
you do have to get the moisture content just right.

You turn as infrequently as possible consistent with getting the parts
that were at the edges into the bulk heap to rot down.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 27-03-2005, 03:45 PM
Lynda Thornton

Hi

I found that using a black plastic compost bin worked wonders without
almost any input from me, apart from trying to add variety to the
mixture, ie layers of wet and dry and the occasional watering in dry
weather. I even put in thick chopped branches and lots of other hard
woody stuff like that, and we were amazed when 2 years later we lifted
the bin (we were moving house and clearing garden items) and there was a
wonderful perfect pile of dark fine compost - incredible! Then we were
rather disappointed that we couldn't use it!!

Lynda
Old 28-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Jim R

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
news
In article , davout
writes
My heaps are under trees, protected from the elements and will hardly ever
get wet from the rain.

Each heap is about 6 ft wide x 5ft deep by 5 feet tall. The heaps were
almost completely filled by the end of last Autumn. When I turned them a
couple of days ago they had reduced in volume by about a third.

I find the best time to turn my compost heap is when the temperature indoors
becomes rather frosty. This is usually soon after the Christmas holidays or
when the mother-in-law comes to stay. By choosing the lesser of two evils
(ie. out in the freezing rain shovelling muck) I find it gets rid of any
less than charitable feelings and is great exercise. Only trouble is, last
Christmas was unusually harmonious and my mother-in-law hasn't visited yet,
so my compost heap is in a sorry state :-{
Jim R.

Old 29-03-2005, 03:02 PM
Pam Moore

I hardly ever turn my heaps; too much hard work. I have "Dalek" type
bins. I just lift off the bins after about a year or more and leave
the heap to mature, maybe throwing the top, less decayed stuff into
the bin in its new position.
However if I did turn my heap regularly, one of my kitchen knives
would not have been missing so long! After a good clean-up and a rub
on sandpaper for the wooden handle, it is usable again.
So if you are prone to throwing the knife out with the peelings, turn
your heap regularly!

Pam in Bristol
Old 29-03-2005, 08:27 PM

Pam Moore writes:

However if I did turn my heap regularly, one of my kitchen knives
would not have been missing so long!

I found a watch in my heap this year...

Anthony

[It wasn't mine, and it no longer works, but...]