Old 27-03-2005, 07:08 AM
Alan Gould

In article , davout
writes
Most of the material has been in the heaps over the winter (at least 5
months) and it still hasn't rotted down much.

I sprinkled the heap with accellerant and water. What else should I be
doing?

If you are 'heat' composting, follow your own suggestion and turn the
material. At this time of year it should warm up little then in a few
more months become compost. Wetting can help if the material is dry, but
if it has been open to winter rains, it could be counter-productive. If
you think the material is over wet, turn it then cover it and that
should accelerate the heating process.

Because we have a very large amount of material to deal with, we operate
the 'cold' composting method in which the material is not turned after
it has initially warmed up and cooled. That can take about 18-24 months
before it is ready to use. We have three heaps going at any one time,
one making, one maturing and one using. That ensures a continuous supply
of compost ready for use. Details and pictures of this system can be
seen in the urg composting FAQ at:

http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/organic.html
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.