Old 27-03-2005, 12:03 PM
Alan Gould

In article , davout
writes
My heaps are under trees, protected from the elements and will hardly ever
get wet from the rain.

Each heap is about 6 ft wide x 5ft deep by 5 feet tall. The heaps were
almost completely filled by the end of last Autumn. When I turned them a
couple of days ago they had reduced in volume by about a third.

When the composting is finished, the heaps will be about 20-30 percent
of their original height. Having turned them a couple of days ago,
plunge your hand into the centre and you should feel some warmth already
beginning. You will also be able to judge moisture level, and sprinkle
some water on if necessary.

If you decide to turn the heaps again, try to work the outer material
into the centre as that is where the composting is most active.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.