Old 27-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Tim Tyler

Kay wrote or quoted:
In article , Tim Tyler writes

The taxonomy browser gives:

Tea:
Eukaryota; Viridiplantae; Streptophyta; Streptophytina;
Embryophyta; Tracheophyta; Euphyllophyta; Spermatophyta;
Magnoliophyta; eudicotyledons; core eudicots; asterids;
Ericales; Theaceae; Camellia

Blueberry:
Eukaryota; Viridiplantae; Streptophyta; Streptophytina;
Embryophyta; Tracheophyta; Euphyllophyta; Spermatophyta;
Magnoliophyta; eudicotyledons; core eudicots; asterids;
Ericales; Ericaceae; Vaccinioideae; Vaccinieae

...so yes, cousins might well be stretching it a bit.

Aha! Things have moved on a bit. My reference (Flowering plants of the
World, ed Heywood, 1993) has Theaceae in a separate order Theales - it's
clearly been moved to Ericales

What is 'the taxonomy browser'? Who produces it?

It's the biggest dictionary of species I know of - see:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Taxonomy/Browser/wwwtax.cgi
--