Old 29-03-2005, 12:24 AM
andrewpreece

"andrewpreece" wrote in message
Hello,

I planted some Diantus 'Crimsonia' from seed last autumn and

brought
them on in the
greenhouse. I planted them a few days ago but they were terribly lank and
floppy, not ailing
you understand, just grew that way. A visit to the garden centre today

left
me wondering, as
they're selling perky, upright Dianthus plug plants, smaller than mine but
nevertheless more
robust looking. The variety I am bringing on is supposed to reach 18"
height, can't see it
happening though.

Have I made a mistake sowing them in the dark days of winter so
they've gone all spindly,
and if so can I rectify the problem by cutting them back fairly hard? The
stalks are about 7" in
length at the moment.

Replying to myself :-), I have cut about half of them right back to see if
they will
grow more robustly in higher light and temperature levels than they have
hitherto
experienced.

Andy.