Old 27-03-2005, 02:28 AM
andrewpreece

Default Floppy Dianthus

Hello,

I planted some Diantus 'Crimsonia' from seed last autumn and brought
them on in the
greenhouse. I planted them a few days ago but they were terribly lank and
floppy, not ailing
you understand, just grew that way. A visit to the garden centre today left
me wondering, as
they're selling perky, upright Dianthus plug plants, smaller than mine but
nevertheless more
robust looking. The variety I am bringing on is supposed to reach 18"
height, can't see it
happening though.

Have I made a mistake sowing them in the dark days of winter so
they've gone all spindly,
and if so can I rectify the problem by cutting them back fairly hard? The
stalks are about 7" in
length at the moment.

Old 29-03-2005, 12:24 AM
andrewpreece

"andrewpreece" wrote in message
[...]

Replying to myself :-), I have cut about half of them right back to see if
they will
grow more robustly in higher light and temperature levels than they have
hitherto
experienced.

Andy.

Floppy Crocus? Jim Lesurf United Kingdom 1 23-02-2005 11:29 AM
Floppy Roses Magwitch United Kingdom 0 10-07-2004 02:09 PM
Floppy Mexican Sage Fleemo Gardening 0 19-11-2003 10:32 AM
Floppy Elephant Ears Leanne Australia 0 21-08-2003 01:32 PM
Iceberg and Fabulous are floppy JimS. Roses 5 23-06-2003 10:20 PM