Old 29-03-2005, 01:57 PM
Larry

Thanks to both Ray and Reka for the info regarding the crosses and the
naming explanation.

Larry

(My typing skills - or lack thereof - missed the "k")

"Ray" wrote in message
Lc. (Mildred Rives x Kari Lynn) = Lc. Memoria Jeannette E Harry
Lc. Irene Finney x C. walkeriana (note the "k") = Lc Rosie's Surprise

Reka is correct about why some don't get named, but there is also the
issue in which a plant is named by the grower, but not registered with the
IOR at the RHS.

Any hybrid can be named, as long as the parents are species or registered
hybrids. If a parent is not registered, it must be before the new hybrid
can be named. I.e., if you crossed (A x B) with C, A x B would have to be
registered before you could register your cross. Hence the problem with
the named-but-unregistered grex: unless you know the parents of the cross,
and can manage to get it registered first, you cannot register a hybrid in
which it is a parent.

"Larry" wrote in message
. ..
Can anyone tell me if either of the following are named crosses?

1) Lc. Mildred Rives 'Orchidglade' AM/AOS x Lc. Kari Lynn 'Splash Down'

2) Lc. Irene Finney 'Springs Best' AM/AOS x C. waleriana

I bought these at the Jacksonville Orchid show. They are now in bloom and
are both gorgeous and very fragrant.

Maybe someone could also explain how is it that some crosses get
"official" names and others do not. I would think that if someone goes
to the trouble of making a cross, they would want to name it. Can all
crosses be named?

Thanks in advance.

Larry