Old 29-03-2005, 01:28 AM
Larry

Default hybrid names

Can anyone tell me if either of the following are named crosses?

1) Lc. Mildred Rives 'Orchidglade' AM/AOS x Lc. Kari Lynn 'Splash Down'

2) Lc. Irene Finney 'Springs Best' AM/AOS x C. waleriana

I bought these at the Jacksonville Orchid show. They are now in bloom and
are both gorgeous and very fragrant.

Maybe someone could also explain how is it that some crosses get "official"
names and others do not. I would think that if someone goes to the trouble
of making a cross, they would want to name it. Can all crosses be named?

Thanks in advance.

Larry

Old 29-03-2005, 07:02 AM
Reka

Larry wrote:
Can anyone tell me if either of the following are named crosses?

1) Lc. Mildred Rives 'Orchidglade' AM/AOS x Lc. Kari Lynn 'Splash Down'

=Lc. Memoria Jeannette E. Harry

2) Lc. Irene Finney 'Springs Best' AM/AOS x C. waleriana

=Lc. Rosie's Surprise

I bought these at the Jacksonville Orchid show. They are now in bloom and
are both gorgeous and very fragrant.

Maybe someone could also explain how is it that some crosses get "official"
names and others do not. I would think that if someone goes to the trouble
of making a cross, they would want to name it. Can all crosses be named?

I'll try my hand at it. It takes a long time to propagate a cross from
pollinia to the final cross actually blooming. Many crosses are made
with the hope of getting unique flowers. But not all hold to that
promise. And as the registration process costs money, it may not pay to
register all of the crosses a producers tries, but rather only those
that he chooses to be valuable enough to sell and /or recross. Al can
tell you more, right, AL?

On your plants, it would be important to keep the parents' names in
parentheses after the grex name, since the clones 'Orchidglade' and
'Sprigs Best' were awarded, thus possibly making it a more valuable
cross than one made with unawarded clones.
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html
Old 29-03-2005, 11:56 AM
Ray

Lc. (Mildred Rives x Kari Lynn) = Lc. Memoria Jeannette E Harry
Lc. Irene Finney x C. walkeriana (note the "k") = Lc Rosie's Surprise

Reka is correct about why some don't get named, but there is also the issue
in which a plant is named by the grower, but not registered with the IOR at
the RHS.

Any hybrid can be named, as long as the parents are species or registered
hybrids. If a parent is not registered, it must be before the new hybrid
can be named. I.e., if you crossed (A x B) with C, A x B would have to be
registered before you could register your cross. Hence the problem with the
named-but-unregistered grex: unless you know the parents of the cross, and
can manage to get it registered first, you cannot register a hybrid in which
it is a parent.

. ..

Old 29-03-2005, 01:57 PM
Larry

Thanks to both Ray and Reka for the info regarding the crosses and the
naming explanation.

Larry

(My typing skills - or lack thereof - missed the "k")

"Ray" wrote in message
Lc. (Mildred Rives x Kari Lynn) = Lc. Memoria Jeannette E Harry
Lc. Irene Finney x C. walkeriana (note the "k") = Lc Rosie's Surprise

Reka is correct about why some don't get named, but there is also the
issue in which a plant is named by the grower, but not registered with the
IOR at the RHS.

Any hybrid can be named, as long as the parents are species or registered
hybrids. If a parent is not registered, it must be before the new hybrid
can be named. I.e., if you crossed (A x B) with C, A x B would have to be
registered before you could register your cross. Hence the problem with
the named-but-unregistered grex: unless you know the parents of the cross,
and can manage to get it registered first, you cannot register a hybrid in
which it is a parent.

"Larry" wrote in message
. ..
Can anyone tell me if either of the following are named crosses?

1) Lc. Mildred Rives 'Orchidglade' AM/AOS x Lc. Kari Lynn 'Splash Down'

2) Lc. Irene Finney 'Springs Best' AM/AOS x C. waleriana

I bought these at the Jacksonville Orchid show. They are now in bloom and
are both gorgeous and very fragrant.

Maybe someone could also explain how is it that some crosses get
"official" names and others do not. I would think that if someone goes
to the trouble of making a cross, they would want to name it. Can all
crosses be named?

Thanks in advance.

Larry

Updated Genus names and Hybrid names files Bob Betts Orchids 0 31-01-2006 04:34 PM
Vernacular names versus standardized common names [Was: botanical names of some Indian trees] P van Rijckevorsel Plant Science 7 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
Hybrid Perpetuals Shiva Roses 2 24-02-2003 04:15 AM
hybrid water lillies jammer Ponds 1 16-02-2003 05:03 AM
Mail order Hybrid-T's. Scopata Fuori Roses 0 03-02-2003 11:16 PM