Old 29-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Mark Anderson

Default Cuttings Question/Pineapplee Sage

I like Pineapple Sage because it grows to become a big bush by the end of
summer and makes for great foliage. Last year I took a bunch of cuttings
and over wintered them inside under lights and although they got leggy,
they did very well last summer in my garden and the gardens of those
plants I gave away.

This year however, my pineapple sage cuttings has been in bloom for the
last month under the lights. I think this happened because the plants I
made cuttings from were close to blooming and I read that when you make
cuttings the plants have memories of what stage of life they're in.

I'm worried about using these plants this year if they think that now
they've bloomed they're life mission is over and they won't grow when
repotted outside. Does anyone think this will be a problem? If I just
deadhead the flower and repot should these plants grow as large as last
year? I'm thinking I might have to buy new pineapple sage seedlings from
the plant store this spring.