Old 29-03-2005, 04:06 PM
Phil L

Default onions/garlic

I have some exhibition onions grown from seed, they are about 3 inches high.
I also have a dozen garlic in pots, they are about 8 inches high, all of
them are in the greenhouse up to now.

I am pressed for space in my garden although I have lots of free space in
the greenhouse beds, is it viable to grow onions and/or garlic inside the
greenhouse?

Or if not, is it possible to grow them in a shady spot in the garden?...I
have two 8X4 ft beds outdoors, one gets full sun all day, the other gets
about 3 hours of sunshine about 9:30 - 12:30, is this enough for
onions/garlic or sprouts?
These are the three veg crops I have grown (apart from chillis and tomatoes)
and I have approx 18 sprouts and onions to transplant....it's going to be a
bit cramped I know but I didn't expect them all to germinate!

I have french beans to sow in late May but I have nowhere for them to go so
either I don't grow them or I will have to use large buckets, is this a good
idea?

I don't know which plants are shade tollerant and the seed packets makes no
mention of it.

TIA!