Old 29-03-2005, 04:06 PM
Phil L

Default onions/garlic

I have some exhibition onions grown from seed, they are about 3 inches high.
I also have a dozen garlic in pots, they are about 8 inches high, all of
them are in the greenhouse up to now.

I am pressed for space in my garden although I have lots of free space in
the greenhouse beds, is it viable to grow onions and/or garlic inside the
greenhouse?

Or if not, is it possible to grow them in a shady spot in the garden?...I
have two 8X4 ft beds outdoors, one gets full sun all day, the other gets
about 3 hours of sunshine about 9:30 - 12:30, is this enough for
onions/garlic or sprouts?
These are the three veg crops I have grown (apart from chillis and tomatoes)
and I have approx 18 sprouts and onions to transplant....it's going to be a
bit cramped I know but I didn't expect them all to germinate!

I have french beans to sow in late May but I have nowhere for them to go so
either I don't grow them or I will have to use large buckets, is this a good
idea?

I don't know which plants are shade tollerant and the seed packets makes no
mention of it.

TIA!

Old 29-03-2005, 05:18 PM
w.g.s.hamm

"Phil L" wrote in message
[...]

I plant just about eveything in containers of all kinds from old buckets to
stacked car tyres, toilet cisterns, in fact amnything you can fid aound the
place or cheap at the local recycling centre/council tip.

Old 29-03-2005, 06:29 PM
Kay

In article , Phil L
writes
I have french beans to sow in late May but I have nowhere for them to go so
either I don't grow them or I will have to use large buckets, is this a good
idea?

They'll be fine. I've grown them in containers, a purple variety
intermixed with a light green lettuce for decorative effect.
--
Kay

Old 29-03-2005, 07:21 PM
Phil L

Kay wrote:
:: In article , Phil L
:: writes
::: I have french beans to sow in late May but I have nowhere for
::: them to go so either I don't grow them or I will have to use
::: large buckets, is this a good idea?
:::
:: They'll be fine. I've grown them in containers, a purple variety
:: intermixed with a light green lettuce for decorative effect.

Cheers, I had an idea the beans would do ok in containers....the main, more
pressing problem i have is concerning the shaded patch outdoors versus the
free space in the greenhouse - does anyone know if onions or garlic can be
successfuly grown in a greenhouse?

Old 29-03-2005, 08:36 PM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:06:36 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

I have french beans to sow in late May but I have nowhere for them to go so
either I don't grow them or I will have to use large buckets, is this a good
idea?

The best RUNNER beans I've seen and tasted (not mine!) were grown in
half barrels. The barrels were half filled with WRM (well rotted
manure) then topped up with potting compost. Well watered, they grew
lush, tender and tasty. Variety Desiree.

Pam in Bristol

Old 30-03-2005, 06:50 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Phil L
writes
Cheers, I had an idea the beans would do ok in containers....the main, more
pressing problem i have is concerning the shaded patch outdoors versus the
free space in the greenhouse - does anyone know if onions or garlic can be
successfuly grown in a greenhouse?

OK for garlic, over-wintering onions and quick cropping spring onions.
Main-crop onions and shallots would grow there if sown, but they give
much better flavour and texture outside.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 30-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Phil L

Alan Gould wrote:
:: In article , Phil L
:: writes
::: Cheers, I had an idea the beans would do ok in containers....the
::: main, more pressing problem i have is concerning the shaded patch
::: outdoors versus the free space in the greenhouse - does anyone
::: know if onions or garlic can be successfuly grown in a greenhouse?
:::
:: OK for garlic, over-wintering onions and quick cropping spring
:: onions. Main-crop onions and shallots would grow there if sown,
:: but they give much better flavour and texture outside.

I'm going to struggle for space then....I've 14 garlic which can use up a
bit of the GH....now to find room for 20 onions and about 16 sprouts in
approx forty square feet of land....the beans are going in buckets of rich
black manure mixed with 25% soil and 25% compost.....I need to find a way of
fitting the onions in somewhere as I want to line a trench with some manure
and upturned sods - it's the bloody sprouts that are the fly in the
ointment, they're probably too 'space hungry' for my small garden?
I /could/ take up a dozen flags (15in X15in) and get a bed ready for
them...they're only about 2" high and the flagged area gets full sun all
day...the big drawback to this is that the flagged bit has been inundated
with horsetails for at least a decade - the roots will be coiled up
underneath like a million segmented worms :-(

Old 30-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Phil L
writes
Alan Gould wrote:
[...]

You could (should) delay planting the garlic until late autumn, over-
winter them and crop them early next summer. 16 sprouts sounds a lot for
an average family. We plant 4 or 5 for 2 people, we began picking them
on November and the last sprouts are still on them. (We do also grow a
lot of other brassicas). Your bean mix sounds over-rich to me, but each
to their own as they say. 20 onions could easily be grown outside in
containers. We planted out 200 onion sets and 80 shallots today, but we
have a lot of space.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.