Old 29-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Jim Lewis

Crushed granite is excellent for bonsai soil. It helps improve
drainage and promotes spaces for much needed air in the soil.

However, the sharp edges do NOT -- repeat, do NOT -- cause roots
to divide.

The fact that it is helping the soil stay open and friable,
however, may well make it easier for roots to divide into
smaller and smaller rootlets just because they don't have to
push though clayey, gooey soil.

Many things work fine in bonsai -- but often not for the reasons
hidebound bonsai traditions (myths) ascribe to them.

I wish I could _find_ crushed granite down here, but it just
isn't around in anything but fine-sand sizes.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - When we see
land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it
with love and respect - Aldo Leopold - A Sand County Almanac

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++