Old 29-03-2005, 02:51 PM

Default [IBC] Soil Myth

In a message dated 3/29/05 12:02:26 AM, Mathias Uely writes:
granite* with sharp edges(very important) and you* will get the same risult
,& with no problems of soil that might get clumped and the roots will split
more easily* and grow dense

This is a myth. The forces that promote root splitting occur at a molecular
level & have nothing directly to do with the shape of the soil particles. In
addition to water & nutrients, the soil must contain air. The soil particles
that promote the most air would be as round as a ball bearing. Crushed granite
chicken grit with its sharp edges makes a good bonsai soil component, but so
does aquarium gravel with rounded edges.
Iris

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 29-03-2005, 05:09 PM
Brian Hagan

I've always been told not to use aquarium gravel, particularly the
colored stuff, for bonsai soil. I understand the coloring could be bad,
but always took it on faith that aquarium gravel in general shouldn't be
used. What do you guys say?

-Brian
Pittsburgh PA (zone 5b/6a sunset 40)

wrote:

In a message dated 3/29/05 12:02:26 AM, Mathias Uely writes:

Crushed granite
chicken grit with its sharp edges makes a good bonsai soil component, but so
does aquarium gravel with rounded edges.
Iris

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 29-03-2005, 05:40 PM
Mathias Uely

HI Iris

wrote:

In a message dated 3/29/05 12:02:26 AM, Mathias Uely writes:

granite with sharp edges(very important) and you will get the same risult
,& with no problems of soil that might get clumped and the roots will split
more easily and grow dense

This is a myth.

I do not think so I am not the only one to use it and to be enthusisat

A maple that I have was a Korea grown and was in this horrid soil had
roots thin and dense looke Afro hairs

the 2 garden centers that had these plants ( recognizable by the
pinkish gravel refused to have the following year the same plants as
had too much mortality as the soil was drying too fast
My deshojo had borers I payd nothing for such a tree and it is very
alive...it makes 3 years now that is growing in such a soil

The forces that promote root splitting occur at a molecular
level & have nothing directly to do with the shape of the soil particles.

apparently it does with shape

In
addition to water & nutrients, the soil must contain air.

and when gravel is irregularly broken allws a better circulation of air
The soil particles
that promote the most air would be as round as a ball bearing.

totally wrong , for instance expanded clay suitable for
aquaculture is pushed by roots to the center of the roots pads ( my
personal experience)
Crushed granite
chicken grit

synthetic material ?
with its sharp edges makes a good bonsai soil component,

so why not using granite in europe is asily available ,.. and can be
recicloed for others bonsais
but so
does aquarium gravel with rounded edges.

first of all I prefer granite or pozzolana or lava aquarium gravel
is rounded and is good to be added to pozzolana or chicken grit or pumice

Best regards

Old 29-03-2005, 07:44 PM
Kitsune Miko

It's never just one thing with bonsai, it's the whole
picture. In addition to soil you have feeding,
pruning, light, etc. We grew pretty good bonsai in
dense soil and maintained growth by starving the
trees, now the styles and things we do to our trees
have changed, like time.

If you have a method that works for you, don't change
just one part of it because someone else claims they
are getting good results with one change. Get the
whole picture.

I use a very fast draining soil, but I water twice a
day. I can flush or feed with this system. Would it
work if I was in an area of wetter or dryer weather?
Would it work if I was in a different zone? Would it
work if I transplanted on a different schedule? I do
lots of things that are out of style and not yet in
style. I watch the trees, they tell me what they
need.

Kits
--- Mathias Uely wrote:
HI Iris

Uely writes:

[...]

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund
Castillo++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

Old 29-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Jim Lewis

Crushed granite is excellent for bonsai soil. It helps improve
drainage and promotes spaces for much needed air in the soil.

However, the sharp edges do NOT -- repeat, do NOT -- cause roots
to divide.

The fact that it is helping the soil stay open and friable,
however, may well make it easier for roots to divide into
smaller and smaller rootlets just because they don't have to
push though clayey, gooey soil.

Many things work fine in bonsai -- but often not for the reasons
hidebound bonsai traditions (myths) ascribe to them.

I wish I could _find_ crushed granite down here, but it just
isn't around in anything but fine-sand sizes.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - When we see
land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it
with love and respect - Aldo Leopold - A Sand County Almanac

Old 29-03-2005, 09:12 PM
Jim Lewis

I've always been told not to use aquarium gravel, particularly the
colored stuff, for bonsai soil. I understand the coloring could be bad,
but always took it on faith that aquarium gravel in general shouldn't be
used. What do you guys say?

-Brian

Thousands upon thousands of bonsai are deliriously happy in
aquarium gravel.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

[IBC]soil myth Nina Bonsai 0 29-03-2005 10:46 PM
Hunters' secret memo blows apart 'pest control' myth Jim Webster United Kingdom 0 06-10-2004 08:54 PM
Mythbusters and goldfish myth Ka30P Ponds 8 24-02-2004 04:11 PM
Question About The Black Walnut Myth BroJack Gardening 10 10-06-2003 12:56 PM
myth or fact? fertilizer to freshly transplanted tree Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 3 05-05-2003 05:20 AM