Old 30-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Phil L

Alan Gould wrote:
:: In article , Phil L
:: writes
::: Cheers, I had an idea the beans would do ok in containers....the
::: main, more pressing problem i have is concerning the shaded patch
::: outdoors versus the free space in the greenhouse - does anyone
::: know if onions or garlic can be successfuly grown in a greenhouse?
:::
:: OK for garlic, over-wintering onions and quick cropping spring
:: onions. Main-crop onions and shallots would grow there if sown,
:: but they give much better flavour and texture outside.

I'm going to struggle for space then....I've 14 garlic which can use up a
bit of the GH....now to find room for 20 onions and about 16 sprouts in
approx forty square feet of land....the beans are going in buckets of rich
black manure mixed with 25% soil and 25% compost.....I need to find a way of
fitting the onions in somewhere as I want to line a trench with some manure
and upturned sods - it's the bloody sprouts that are the fly in the
ointment, they're probably too 'space hungry' for my small garden?
I /could/ take up a dozen flags (15in X15in) and get a bed ready for
them...they're only about 2" high and the flagged area gets full sun all
day...the big drawback to this is that the flagged bit has been inundated
with horsetails for at least a decade - the roots will be coiled up
underneath like a million segmented worms :-(