Old 31-03-2005, 01:32 AM
paghat

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:39:02 -0500, Gwen Morse wrote:
I have some largish patches of moss in my front yard. I don't
particularly want them where they are, although I don't feel any need
to try to kill them, either.

I also have a small walkway to my mailbox made up of slate paving
stones. I'd really like the moss to grow between the stones. Is it
possible to move the moss from where it is, to where I want it to be?
I was thinking maybe I could take "slices" of mossy soil and layer
them between the pavers.

Results vary when attempting to move mats of moss from one place to
another. More often than not it fails or results in an uneven patchy mess
of half-dead moss, if you expected a pealed up mat of moss to re-"root"
itself in a new location into a new medium. Moss does not actually have
roots & doesn't like this kind if disruption. However, there's an easy &
reliable method of getting moss to grow where you want it:

1) Select a moss with the appearance you're after, that is growing in a
location with moisture & sun/shade conditions & medium preferances similar
to the conditions where you want to have moss.

2) Chop the moss into itty bitty teensy weensy bits.

3) Mix the moss with water-diluted buttermilk.

4) Whiz this misture in a blender to the consistency of paint. (You can
get a cheap blender from a thriftstore if you don't want to crud up your
good one.)

5) With a paintbrush, paint this concoction of moss, water, & buttermilk
onto stone surfaces or tree trunks, or dribble it onto soil between
flagstones or wherever you want it to grow. For very large areas dilute
the concoction a great deal & after having blended it to a much finer
consistency, so that it can be sprayed from a pump-sprayer.

6) Use a mister rather than a hose to keep the area moist without washing
away the moss-concoction before the rhizomes take hold & it begins to
grow.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he