Old 31-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Duncan Heenan

Default Mediterranean orchard - progress report

Some may remember I have been trying to build a 'Mediterranean Orchard' on a
sheltered south facing terrace. I am proud to announce I have made my first
plantings ( a bit late, but I live in hope!).
I have planted 3 apricots, 1 peach, 2 kiwis (the small fruited, self fertile
ones) and 1 fig all on the south facing wall, and a free standing Asian
pear.
I still have room for about 8 more small to medium trees, and I'm still
looking for ideas. I already have most of the normal UK type fruits & nuts
in my existing orchard.
I have discounted oranges and lemons as they're too frost sensitive, even
with our very few frosts here.
Further suggestions welcomed.
I'm looking for a couple of olive trees, does anyone know of a UK source at
a sensible price?
Thanks
Duncan