Old 31-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Cracked Corn is never "grit." Birds have no teeth so their food is prepared for digestion in with bits of stone or "grit" to grind the food. To survive birds (chickens) must contantly ingest this grinding material along with their food. In some areas it is crushed oyster shell and in others it is granite. I have even seen Turface sold as grit, but I wouldn't use it with my chickens as I don't think it would be hard enough. BTW, a link between bids and dinosaurs is this need for grinding and a artifact frequentny found with dinosaur bones is a small pile of stones.
Cracked corn is food.