Old 31-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Cracked Corn is never "grit." Birds have no teeth so their food is prepared for digestion in with bits of stone or "grit" to grind the food. To survive birds (chickens) must contantly ingest this grinding material along with their food. In some areas it is crushed oyster shell and in others it is granite. I have even seen Turface sold as grit, but I wouldn't use it with my chickens as I don't think it would be hard enough. BTW, a link between bids and dinosaurs is this need for grinding and a artifact frequentny found with dinosaur bones is a small pile of stones.
Cracked corn is food.

Old 31-03-2005, 03:45 PM
Mark Hill - Alternative Connection

LOL
Are we discussing "Grits" ?
My wife loves grits for breakfast in the morning.
From what I understand, it's ground up corn.
Not sure I'd like to put it on my trees.

Mark

Old 31-03-2005, 04:10 PM
Kitsune Miko

In California there are a lot of versons of crushed
granite available, so it was not forsale at the feed
store, only this corn stuff, perhaps it was "Scrath."

Kits
wrote:
LOL
Are we discussing "Grits" ?
My wife loves grits for breakfast in the morning.
From what I understand, it's ground up corn.
[...]

+++++

****
++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund
Castillo++++

****

Old 31-03-2005, 04:24 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Chickens are sometimes fed in a pan of meal or mush, but also a corn or seed mix thrown on the ground to let the chickens do their natural thing and "scratch" the ground to uncover seeds and insects.
Provided your plants are large enough to escape damage, chickens can do a job of weeding a planting with this behavior.

Billy

Old 31-03-2005, 04:26 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Grit and grits are two different things. I just had chesse grits as a brunch snak in the employee dining room..

Billy

My wife loves grits for breakfast in the morning.
From what I understand, it's ground up corn.
[...]

[IBC] Granite Grit Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 14-10-2005 11:43 AM
[IBC] Granite Grit Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 1 14-10-2005 11:36 AM
[IBC] Granite Grit Bill Neff Bonsai 2 13-10-2005 01:23 PM
[IBC] turkey grit substitute Roy Bohn Bonsai 0 03-04-2005 12:30 AM
[IBC] Chicken Grit (OT) [email protected] Bonsai 0 01-04-2005 02:35 PM