Old 01-04-2005, 04:11 AM

Default Looking for a good weed....

I was wondering if anyone here has ever grown anachris or hornwort at a
temperature of 79-82 degrees fahrenheit? I had tremendous hornmort
success/growth a long time ago but only at a temperature of 68 degrees
or less fahrenheit and I wanted the temp to be higher so I got rid of
it. I tried anachris (egeria densia) recently with some success at
first but it eventually all died off (at a temperature of about 80
degrees fahrenheit give or take 2 degrees fahrenheit). Back then I
wasn't checking the ph and I realize it might have been low but in this
bedroom tank now (thanks to elaine's (and others) recommendation I have
had calcium carbonate in this tank which has upped the alkalinity (I
think) and the ph to a good 7.2-7.3 (I know), and obviously this tank
has natural fertilizer from the fish in it) the ph is good for
anachris. I have had good success in my bigger tank with java fern but
other than that that's it. The salinity in my bedroom tank should be
low. Should I try anachris again in my bedroom tank now that the ph and
kh are high or should I buy supplements (plant food, substrate, etc.)
first? I would love to have this bedroom tank filled to the rim with
thriving anachris or hornwort, are at least something more than a
little algae and a "holding it's own" amazon swordplant. Enlighten me
so I can have thriving plants! Thanks.