Old 01-04-2005, 04:11 AM

Default Looking for a good weed....

I was wondering if anyone here has ever grown anachris or hornwort at a
temperature of 79-82 degrees fahrenheit? I had tremendous hornmort
success/growth a long time ago but only at a temperature of 68 degrees
or less fahrenheit and I wanted the temp to be higher so I got rid of
it. I tried anachris (egeria densia) recently with some success at
first but it eventually all died off (at a temperature of about 80
degrees fahrenheit give or take 2 degrees fahrenheit). Back then I
wasn't checking the ph and I realize it might have been low but in this
bedroom tank now (thanks to elaine's (and others) recommendation I have
had calcium carbonate in this tank which has upped the alkalinity (I
think) and the ph to a good 7.2-7.3 (I know), and obviously this tank
has natural fertilizer from the fish in it) the ph is good for
anachris. I have had good success in my bigger tank with java fern but
other than that that's it. The salinity in my bedroom tank should be
low. Should I try anachris again in my bedroom tank now that the ph and
kh are high or should I buy supplements (plant food, substrate, etc.)
first? I would love to have this bedroom tank filled to the rim with
thriving anachris or hornwort, are at least something more than a
little algae and a "holding it's own" amazon swordplant. Enlighten me
so I can have thriving plants! Thanks.

Old 01-04-2005, 01:36 PM
Margolis

anacharis is a cold water plant. You can grow it in high temps, and when it
does grow it grows well. But it likes to 'melt' at tropical temps also.
Overall I wouldn't recommend it.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/200302152...qs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

Old 01-04-2005, 04:04 PM
spiral_72

Boy, that little word "A" is paramount in that posting title, isn't it?

Old 01-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Ross Vandegrift

On 2005-04-01, Margolis wrote:
anacharis is a cold water plant. You can grow it in high temps, and when it
does grow it grows well. But it likes to 'melt' at tropical temps also.
Overall I wouldn't recommend it.

My tank runs about 82 deg F at this point: I must disagree.

I just trimmed the Anacharis out of my tank to pass on
the clippings. I pulled probably thirty stems out, most of which were
2-3 feet long! Two people on the group will be able to attest to that
when their plants show up this week ::-)

In my experience, temperature has never made a difference to my plants.
Granted, I don't mess with it - all my tank are tropical, 72-82 deg F.
But sufficient light, CO2, and fertilization are always what makes it
work.

--
Ross Vandegrift

man in the bonds of Hell."

Old 01-04-2005, 07:14 PM
Nikki Casali

spiral_72 wrote:

Boy, that little word "A" is paramount in that posting title, isn't it?

Sure, even Anacharis takes on psychotropic properties if grown under the
right conditions. ;-)

Old 01-04-2005, 08:11 PM
John

Ross, I got them yesterday afternoon and they look fantastic in my tank! And
yes they are long...most are longer than the 29 gal they went into. They'll
look great in the 125 as soon as I get it setup. Thank You!

Old 02-04-2005, 07:19 AM

[snicker] I am serious and not serious at the same time.

Old 02-04-2005, 08:32 AM
Elaine T

On 2005-04-01, Margolis wrote:

anacharis is a cold water plant. You can grow it in high temps, and when it
does grow it grows well. But it likes to 'melt' at tropical temps also.
Overall I wouldn't recommend it.

My tank runs about 82 deg F at this point: I must disagree.

I just trimmed the Anacharis out of my tank to pass on
the clippings. I pulled probably thirty stems out, most of which were
2-3 feet long! Two people on the group will be able to attest to that
when their plants show up this week ::-)

In my experience, temperature has never made a difference to my plants.
Granted, I don't mess with it - all my tank are tropical, 72-82 deg F.
But sufficient light, CO2, and fertilization are always what makes it
work.

There are a few identical plants sold as Anacharis and the plants can
only be distinguished by their flowers. One, Egerea densa is tropical
and a great aquarium plant. The others, Elodea spp. are coldwater
plants. It's just a matter of luck which you get from your LFS.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/PlantedTk...dex/elodea.htm explains it.

videoman, if your swordplant is barely hanging in there, but java moss
grows great then your tank is probably low on light. Anubias will grow
slowly, but stay nice looking for a long time in low light conditions.
Java fern grows well, as do many Cryptocoryne spp. Your swordplant
would probably appreciate a nitrate-free fertilizer tablet at its roots,
and a trace element fertilizer like Flourish with iron is helpful.

Java fern and anubias can be tied to pieces of bogwood with dark thread
and don't require any substrate. They will eventually root onto the
wood for a beautiful effect. Cryptocorynes can be grown potted if you
don't want to worry about substrate - they're fine as long as they have
something to root in.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 02-04-2005, 09:30 PM
Angrie.Woman

On 2005-04-01, Margolis wrote:
anacharis is a cold water plant. You can grow it in high temps, and when
it
does grow it grows well. But it likes to 'melt' at tropical temps also.
Overall I wouldn't recommend it.

My tank runs about 82 deg F at this point: I must disagree.

I just trimmed the Anacharis out of my tank to pass on
the clippings. I pulled probably thirty stems out, most of which were
2-3 feet long! Two people on the group will be able to attest to that
when their plants show up this week ::-)

Yes, I will attest to that! Thank you very much for the plants - very nice
weeds. I can't imagine how your tank must have looked, considering there
was at least twice that amount in your tank.

Note to other parents: the plastic containers that single- serve pudding and
jello comes in make good plant containers.

What is this plant? http://www.indyattic.com/pics/plant.jpg Some of it
was tucked in the bag, so I planted it too.

Thanks again!
Angie

Old 03-04-2005, 01:26 AM

Much thanks Elaine! I am going to be getting things together for plants
in my tanks using your and others suggestions. I was already thinking
about getting some crypts and now definitely will. I plan on getting
flourish plus iron, anubias, crypts, and nitrate free plant food
tablets. I am so happy with my tanks! They're beautiful and I feel
great knowing I am taking such good care of them and gravel vacuuming
them regularly with my method I have worked out to save all of the
babies afterward. Later, and thanks for the info Elaine!

Old 03-04-2005, 01:44 AM
Elaine T

On 2005-04-01, Margolis wrote:

[...]

That's water sprite, an aquatic fern. Ceratopteris thalictroides. If
it likes your tank, it grows fast and gets quite tall. It puts out new
leaves all the time, and the old ones die off, sprouting baby plants at
the leaf margins. You can grow it either rooted or floating. What you
have is the rooted form.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 03-04-2005, 06:20 AM
Margolis

On 2005-04-01, Margolis wrote:
I just trimmed the Anacharis out of my tank to pass on
the clippings. I pulled probably thirty stems out, most of which were
2-3 feet long! Two people on the group will be able to attest to that
when their plants show up this week ::-)

In my experience, temperature has never made a difference to my plants.
Granted, I don't mess with it - all my tank are tropical, 72-82 deg F.
But sufficient light, CO2, and fertilization are always what makes it
work.

I guess you have been lucky maybe if you have never had ANY of it die.. I
said when it grows it grows WELL. When mine is growing well it gets about
3' long before I trim it. But sometimes some of the plants just seem to
melt away for no reason. The most likely time for this is after pruning and
replanting. The tank is at 82°f. After doing a bit of research online I
have found this happens to quite a few people that try to keep it in 80°
tanks. Everybodies experiences may be different though. And like Elaine
said, you may have gotten a tropical version and I ended up with the
coldwater version. who knows really? I was just passing along my
experiences with it.

Old 03-04-2005, 07:11 AM
Angrie.Woman

"Elaine T" wrote in message
m...
Angrie.Woman wrote:

..

What is this plant? http://www.indyattic.com/pics/plant.jpg Some of it
was tucked in the bag, so I planted it too.

That's water sprite, an aquatic fern. Ceratopteris thalictroides. If it
likes your tank, it grows fast and gets quite tall. It puts out new
leaves all the time, and the old ones die off, sprouting baby plants at
the leaf margins. You can grow it either rooted or floating. What you
have is the rooted form.

It's very pretty. I don't have my new lighting system yet, so it might not
make it. I can alway buy more later though.

Old 04-04-2005, 07:33 AM

I am really excited about my opportunities with plants here. I have
hornwort (which I will put in the bedroom tank and hope it grows like
the weed it is given it can take temperatures up to 85 degrees
fahrenheit), some anubius, some crypts, wisteria which will probably
exclusively will join the java ferns growing in the bigger tank, these
are all on the way now. I also purchased flourish with iron, jungle
plant food, and the jungle co2 fizz factory (any good anyone?), which
are now on the way as well. I tried to buy a venturi power head driven
co2 diffuser, red sea brand co2 injector but couldn't find it even with
a search, instead of the jungle co2 fizz factory. Both seem to be good
for small tanks. I'm all set and hoping the hornwort takes off so I
have an endless supply of it and I can just then dump some into my
turtle tank for the turtles to eat. Later all!

Old 05-04-2005, 05:41 PM
Ross Vandegrift

On 2005-04-01, John wrote:
Ross, I got them yesterday afternoon and they look fantastic in my tank! And
yes they are long...most are longer than the 29 gal they went into. They'll
look great in the 125 as soon as I get it setup. Thank You!

Great! No problem - if they are too long, feel free to lop off the
bottom and either replant it or throw away the bottom part.

You can replant any segment of the plant and it'll keep on growing

--
Ross Vandegrift

man in the bonds of Hell."