Old 01-04-2005, 11:07 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] A beginner question about maple

In a message dated 3/31/2005 8:46:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

They have
some America Red Maples on sale for around $12. However, they're about
6 feet tall or so, too tall for bonsai. Is it possible to cut them
down somehow? Is there a way to get branches to grow lower on the
trunk?

Here on the Space Coast these are about the only Maples was can grow
so I have to agree with Craig and Anita eventhough I am not married to either
one of them.
Maples do tend to bud back and if you cut it to one foot you would
probably get branches at the top of the cut. But if you're squeamish about that,
cut just above the lowest branch now and wait for buds to pop lower before you
cut lower. The leaves are larger to start but if you pinch and defoliate they
will reduce.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++